Friday, July 8, 2016

Facing the Jellyfish -- Maybe It's Time to Face the Fear & Move Into the Ocean of Your Dreams!

Not long ago we vacationed as a family to a beach area.  One of my daughters absolutely adores the ocean.  Jumping waves, building sandcastles, feeling the water on her skin--these things are always an exhilarating experience for her.

So when I saw her sitting near the water's edge with her head down, I knew something wasn't quite right.

I sat down beside her and asked what was happening.

"Mom, there are jellyfish everywhere.  I'm scared.  People are getting stung."  She was truly afraid.

I encouraged her, "Have any of the people that have been stung been taken away in an ambulance or been hurt badly by the jellyfish?"

"No, Mom.  But, I'm scared of what it will feel like if I get stung...I just can't go in," she said.

"Dear, just take your time.  I think your love of the ocean is bigger than these jellyfish."

I left her contemplating the jellyfish troubles and went back up to sit in the small tent we had set up for shade.

About five minutes later she approached the tent with a bucket in hand and a grin on her face.

"Mom, look what I have."

I got up and went over.  When I peeked into the bucket I couldn't see anything except for water.

"The jellyfish is in there Mom.  It's clear.  Can't you see it?  I captured one so I could see it closely and know what it really is."

When I looked more closely I noticed the subtle shape of a small jellyfish moving in the water.

"Mom, I'm going to take the jellyfish and have it sting me right here and right now!"



"Are you sure you want to do that, honey?" I responded.

"Mom, I want to go back in the water.  I'd rather just get this sting over with so I know what it feels like.  Then, I won't be afraid anymore," she said with a new found boldness.

After some contemplation she decided not to inflict a sting upon herself.  Instead, this 11 year old ventured into the water and decided to just have some fun.

About ten minutes later she ventured back up to the tent and said, "Mom, a jellyfish stung me--and guess what!  It really didn't hurt that much!"

She had gone to jump waves and as nature took its course, a jellyfish had found her.  The sting on her leg wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.

She had overcome her fear!  Wave jumping ensued for the rest of the week.

I sat in awe, and have continued to sit in awe and contemplate the situation.  My little lady knew she needed to face her fears head on.  She found a truly unique way to approach it.  And, she taught me once again, to not allow my fears to prohibit me from doing the things that will bring me a sense of passion and excitement.

As we venture into the weekend, perhaps each of us can take some time to contemplate our "Jellyfish".  What is it that you are afraid of that you are allowing to keep you from moving forward to do the things you truly desire?

What unique way might you find to sit with those fears, understand them and move beyond them?

If you open to Divine  Guidance and ask for courage and boldness, remarkable experiences may begin to unfold in your life.  You will be guided BEYOND your fears.

I remember one of my favorite verses from the Bible as a child:  God has not given us a spirit of FEAR but of POWER, LOVE and a Sound Mind.  

Our fears are simply thoughts of things we do NOT want to happen.  

Our dreams are thoughts of things we DO want to happen.  

The question is, which of those thoughts will we dwell upon?  
And, can we trust that there is a Divine Force in play that will allow us to navigate any challenge that might arise as we move toward the life we are designed to live?

Each of us has the power to overcome any fear and move forward into the ocean of our dreams.

Please comment and share any unique stories you may have about overcoming your fears...or feel free to share your thoughts of self-awareness of what you are allowing to hold yourself back from what you desire.

We are all in this together.  And, we as we share from our hearts, we begin to realize we aren't alone--each person on this planet has their own set of "jellyfish" to move beyond ;)

With my love and my encouragement to MOVE BEYOND YOUR JELLYFISH!

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
www.patriciaomoqui.com

No comments:

Post a Comment