Saturday, July 23, 2016

BEWARE: Too Much (Media) Circus, Makes One Sick

On July 4th, my 2 oldest daughters and I ventured to our local carnival.  I used to love wild and crazy rides when I was younger--the more they spun me, the better I felt.  It was exhilarating.

Now, that's not so much the case.  Rides and I don't seem to get along anymore.  For the last few years I made it a rule to just be a chaperone and "give up my own tickets for the kids."

Somehow this visit, I caved.  My middle daughter begged me to go on a ride with her.  It was one of those twister rides.  The cars spin round and round going forward, then half way through the ride, the cars spin round and round going backward.  Bravery roused within me.  I thought to myself, "I can handle this ride.  I don't want to disappoint my daughter.  Let's do this thing!"

As the ride started I felt fine.  It actually felt good to feel the wind in my face and  be close to Skye.  But suddenly, I hit a point when I lost my center:  my head started to spin--the entire World started to spin.  I felt totally disoriented.  Thankfully, at just that moment I passed the booth of the man operating the ride.  I raised my hands and screamed, "Stop the ride! I have to get off NOW!"  It was just the moment he was about to make the ride go backward so he was kind and stopped it, let me get off and then continued the ride for the rest of the group.

I was so relieved!  But it took me the rest of the day to recover.  I felt totally off--stomach upset, headache, disorientation.  I silently vowed to myself:  NO MORE RIDES!

I've been noticing I get the same feelings if I take in too much of the Media Circus.  Our Media Circus is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  It seems that over the years the Media Circus Rides have grown--the roller-coaster rides have bigger hills, more extreme twists and turns and tend to spin the viewers upside down, inside out and round and round.  The stories chosen to be aired and covered with a magnifying glass approach are the most insane, fearful, painful and devastating stories possible.

Yesterday I happened to turn the TV on when the German shooting story was unfolding.  I sensed that the presenter was actually excited to have a new story to dish out--detail by gruesome detail, it was as if he was relishing in giving humanity this awful news.

I quickly turned it off.  Why do I need to feed my mind, body and spirit this constant horror?  Is there anything I can do to change what just happened in Germany?  There is something good about being "informed."  But, somehow all of us have become accustomed to allowing this sensationalism to stream into our lives constantly.  What good is this doing any of us?

Just like too many circus rides can cause one to feel ill, so too can too many media rides.

Perhaps this is a grand opportunity for each of us.  What if we became more conscious in our approach to media intake?  Over the years I've shut down some of the streaming sources I had allowed into my personal space.  I used to listen to TV news while getting ready for work.  Then I'd get in the car and turn on more news on the way to work.  I'd then take my breaks at the office and listen to news during my break.  I'd also go onto the Internet and keep abreast of the latest stories.

In my personal process of reclaiming my power, time and energy, I started re-vamping my approach.  I no longer need to start my day with negative news.  Instead, times of meditation and gratitude have become the start to my day.  My time in the car is filled with uplifting music or an inspirational speaking clip.  I've learned that in only 10 minutes of reading news articles online, I can stay up to speed on the headlines and pick out the stories that I feel are important for me to keep abreast of.

As I limit my media intake, it means I have more time and energy to become my best self!  It means I have more peace, love and creative juices to share with my family and the world.  It means my light can stay brighter and I can bring more of it to my realm of influence, thus doing my part to make the World better.

Listen, just because the big black box (the TV) and the little rectangle you carry in your pocket (your cell phone) are there, does not mean you have to turn them on!  These devices can be hypnotizing, addictive and BAD FOR BODY, MIND and SPIRIT.

As light-filled agents of change, we do need to stay abreast of things that need to change globally.  But, we also need to keep our energy intact so that we can purposefully use our lights and our talents to bring transformation to our own local arenas.

Notice this week how many "Media Rides" you take.  Notice the duration of the ride. Notice how you feel while on the ride.  Notice how you feel after being on the ride.

What conscious approach to the Media Circus can you design for your highest good?

I hope this got you thinking.  I know I'm still fine-tuning and working to figure out the best approach for me and for my family.

I send a big smile to you this Saturday morning -- and no, I am NOT going to the local fair with my kids this weekend.  Once a year is plenty for us all ;)

Love you!

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
www.patriciaomoqui.com  




6 comments:

  1. So very true ma. These things just have a way to make us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and it is wonderful we have the opportunity to make changes at any point we are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this. However, how do you have the discipline to maintain a "no-media" stance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Olufemi Omotayo, I choose to maintain a balanced and aware approach. I still take in the media and stay informed, but I do so in a way that keeps my energy intact. I do it on my terms rather than allowing it to constantly stream into my life. What approach works for you?

      Delete
  4. @Olufemi Omotayo, I choose to maintain a balanced and aware approach. I still take in the media and stay informed, but I do so in a way that keeps my energy intact. I do it on my terms rather than allowing it to constantly stream into my life. There is value in what the media provides. I have just become aware that too much of the negative hype has a detrimental approach on my thinking and my energy. What approach works for you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as a trained communicator I've learned about the concept called "communication processes" which include reception, perception and retention. It means at every point I have the opportunity receive an information or not; I can decide what to do the information and whether to retain it or not.
    I agree the media circus can be overwhelming, but everyone just needs to find a way to "gatekeep" the kind and amount of information they receive.
    I recommend as much as possible for folks to read less gossips and more of blogs like this!

    ReplyDelete