Monday, May 10, 2010

Harness Your Power: Power of Self-Talk

This morning I will be speaking locally at a Mother's Day breakfast.  I am looking forward to sharing insights with the mom's on the importance of self-talk.

We are typically our own harshest critics.  About 7 years ago I discovered that my thoughts about myself were harsh, guilt-ridden and extremely judgmental -- "I'm not a good enough mom or wife.  I should do better.  I don't measure up.  I can't keep up with others.  What if I don't give my kids what they need?  I am too fat.  I am not pretty enough.  I should be working harder, longer and doing more...."  On and on and on the self-talk went. 

From the outside people thought I had it altogether.  But on the inside I was beating myself up constantly. 
I was my own worst enemy. 

As I began to study my mind I realized that beating myself up was only one possible approach.  In fact, I began to see that I'd never talk that way to other people, so why would I be doing this to myself?

I began to review this disempowered self-talk and revise it.  Here is what I came up with to replace the old thinking:  "I am a good wife and mom.  I do my best every day.  What gets done today gets done.  The rest can wait until tomorrow.  I love myself and honor myself for trying so hard.  I am a beautiful person inside and out."

With this change in self-talk I began to feel better.  And, I began to find proof of all the ways in which I was a good wife and mom.  The better I felt inside, the more energy I had.  The more energy I had, the better I became.

How is your self-talk?  Take a close look this week.  Begin to write down any negative, disempowered thinking that haunts you.  Write the thoughts down and study the impact they have on your life -- if you changed this thinking, how different would your life feel?

You can do it!
If you need support, I'm only an email away :)

With all my love,
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

I have plenty of free positive affirmations at my website...check them out :)
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/freeresources-affirmations.html

2 comments:

  1. Dear Trish,
    Thank you for speaking Monday at the Mother's breakfast. You are kind to share of yourself, faults and weaknesses we all have in order to connect with women and to improve our view of ourselves! Thank you for turning around our thoughts so that we reflect who we truly are and as Christ intended us to be. What a wonderful and powerful effect for the entire family - a Mother's day gift indeed.
    As the Spirit leads, I had just purchased Managing Thought by Mary J. Lore as a Mother's day gift to myself the day before! more affirmations and insight I can't wait to linger over and apply~
    Thank you kindly,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Thank you so much for this comment. It was such a joy for me to share at the Mother's breakfast. The truths I offer are what God has allowed me to discover in order to totally transform my life...I hope you enjoy the Managing Thought book -- I'd love to hear what you think about it -- perhaps it is a book that would be good for me read as well :)
    Much love,
    Trish Omoqui

    ReplyDelete