Monday, May 31, 2010

Harness Your Power: Love & Spit Up

I'm sitting down on Memorial day evening.  I've gotten spit up on my shirt.  It's been an interesting holiday.

I had no idea that I'd have an extra baby living with me this weekend.   It was Love's calling.  A girl in my neighborhood who has a 10 month old son decided a week ago that she wanted to kick her drug addiction.  I was out of town on my book retreat when the text message came, "You told me that when I was ready to surrender and move forward that you and your family would help me.  I'm ready."  I was in awe.  This was truly miraculous. 

This text message kicked off a tremendous learning process for me and several family members.

There have been many ups and downs.  I've had moments of tremendous anger and sadness as she tried to run away and told me, "I'm taking my baby and I'm going to get high...I don't care what you think."  Then, hours later, after she and the baby sat in the pouring rain with no shelter, we received the phone call, "Please come get me.  I need help.  I need to get better."

We have had special moments too.  A few days into her withdrawal process she said, "I don't want to lose my son.  I want to get better.  I have to do this.  Thank you for helping me even when I have pushed you away."

Little did I know that this weekend I'd have baby boy with me.  Before entering a several month rehab program with her baby, this young lady was required to detox further under medical supervision and she couldn't bring her son.  Thus began our four day adventure.  I was given formula, wipes, diapers and clothes.

My children loved it of course.  Maggie and Skye enjoy playing mommy.  I've cherished it too -- though I must confess that it has been exhausting and has really got me to thinking.  What became clear to me is that when we offer love, we must be willing to go where love wants us to go and do what love needs us to do.  Sometimes this comes down to changing diapers, wiping up spit up and making sure another person's child is safe while they get better.

I honestly never would have thought that I'd be doing this.   I had planned to get an article written, to have time for relaxing and cleaning up the house.  The Universe always keeps me on my toes.  I am always surprised by how things turn out.

 I met this girl only nine weeks ago in my neighborhood.  I've been given a crash course in addictions.  I've learned that until a person is ready to surrender, until THEY WANT to get better, there is no stopping them from doing what they want to do.  I sat in the hospital one night after I got the news she had overdosed.  I went there prepared to hear the news that my friend had died.  But, she survived.

I write all this only to say that I have been reminded again that LOVE is patient, kind...it goes the extra mile, it does what it might not even want to do, it serves when and where it is called.  I'm being forced to live what I teach day in and day out.  I'm being stretched.  I'm growing in ways I never anticipated and being given crash  courses by the Universe on topics I never thought I'd be exposed to.

I pray often, "God use me in whatever way you need me today."  And God never allows a willing servant to go without an assignment :)  Perhaps God is chuckling lovingly at me while reading what I've written.

Let us all willingly follow where Love calls us. 

Written in love and with a prayer for my friend and for all addicts worldwide to find a way to freedom,

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

1 comment: