Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Dear Change Agent: Purposefully Build Trusted Relationships

Beautiful Family - Yesterday I had a chat with one of my closest mentees, a solid change agent who has been working passionately to create positive change for YEARS.

When I suggested he begin to take more time to build trusted relationships with some of the other change agents I've introduced to him he said, "But I'm so focused on putting food on the table for my family to survive.  I don't have time."   Hmmmm.

Here's an option I suggested he should consider and a mindset I asked him to adopt: Taking daily time to build trusted, long-term relationships is ESSENTIAL TO PUTTING Daily food on the table. The people you build trusted relationships with over time may have exactly the strengths and the contacts and the connection to opportunities YOU need to put the next round of food on your table. And YOU may have what they need too!

Affirm: I take daily time to build solid, trusting relationships and expand my network.

Please, please, please -- CHANGE AGENTS--- I beg you! A mindset change is needed!   Listen, I'm hustling TOO to put food on the table every day AND I can also regularly invest in growing relationships with MANY people on a daily basis. Whether it is a quick chat via social media to know someone new or touch base with someone I have a relationship with, a quick phone call to check how they are or a meet-up to share a meal and take a relationship a step deeper -- investing in relationships is ESSENTIAL to our long term success.

Collaborations come naturally WHEN we have laid the groundwork and foundation of trust between us.

We Rise TOGETHER By KNOWING OTHERS DEEPLY & Lifting Others TO SUCCESS.

Consider setting a goal for yourself regarding daily investment of time and energy into building relationships. It can be as simple as -- I will take 5 minutes per day to chat with someone new and get to know them better AND allow them to get to know me better too.  

In doing this, I am TELLING YOU: miracles will emerge over time.  Invest in relationships and in time, you may see the door opens for collaborating in small ways and then, as trust grows, you may see bigger collaborations come about.  You just never know where these beautiful, trusted relationships will lead us!

It is often WHO we know that leads us to a greater amount of opportunities than how much we DO. So, GET TO KNOW PEOPLE---deeply, with your total presence, with love....build solid relationships. 

Don't build relationships with some crazy hidden agenda--hoping to EXTRACT something from someone.  Smart people can sniff out folks like you!  Take genuine interest in getting to know others, trusting that in time, doors of possibility may open for BOTH of you. Get to know people because you CARE! 

Then, in due time, beautiful opportunities may emerge! This is an ESSENTIAL element to your future, long-term success.

Any questions, thoughts or comments? I want to hear your thoughts on this one. Are you already doing it? If so - tell us how you purposefully build your network of trusted relationships. What have you seen come about because of trusted relationships you have already built?  Is this concept new for you? Are you ready to give it a try? Share your plan on how to make it a daily habit or at least a weekly one.

With love, 
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
www.patriciaomoqui.com

1 comment:

  1. I love this message. This is one area of my life where I really need to change. Although I can build lasting and loving relationships(few of course), I will love to build more relationships.
    Sometimes I shy away from relationships even when it can be easily built, and I don't know why.
    This article has given me reasons to try harder, and I will. I hope I am pushed off the cliff of reluctance if possible.

    ReplyDelete