Sunday, July 4, 2010

Harness Your Power: Beyond Judgment to Love

There is a deep pain in my heart.  I will be honest.  I was judged deeply and broadly and harshly by someone close to me.  I felt angry.  I wanted to lash out.  I began to judge the other person in my heart, "Who is this person anyway?  How can they not accept me for the path I've chosen?"  Quickly, though, I stopped myself.

I've been through this pattern before.  The "they-judge-me-and-then-I-get-angry-and judge-in-return" pattern.  You've experienced this pattern, haven't you?  It seems this is one deeply felt by those who are part of our human family.

Today felt intense as I moved through a range of emotions from pure anger, to frustration and heart-breaking sadness.  Yet, I am grateful to this learning partner of mine.  This situation challenged me once again to replace my anger with love. 

What is the point of me judging the other person for judging me?  I have to laugh. Think of these cycles we humans create!  One person is angry and judges the other.  Then, the other person judges the other person.  The conflict begins and escalates quickly as emotional exchanges leads to shouting matches.  Then people walk away from one another -- siblings against siblings, parents against children, long-time friends part ways. 

What is this insanity we are creating?

What if, instead, the person being judged simply said, "Thank you for your perspective.  I will consider it even though I don't agree with it." 

What if, instead, the person being judged simply said, "No matter how you feel about me, I choose to love you?"

My prayer this week is that God will expand my heart beyond all judgment.  That I will learn to take nothing personally but instead see even those who offend me and accuse me with eyes of compassion.

Will you join me?

With a humble heart desiring to learn,

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment