Sunday, June 27, 2010

Harness Your Power: Shifting Perceptions

My kids started a local summer camp this week.  At the camp is a young man who has a serious medical condition.  The young man walks and talks differently than the others. 

Skye, my 5 year old, came home and was laughing.  She told me about the boy and said he was funny looking.  Skye and I had a heart-to-heart talk.  I reminded Skye that God gives each of us a special body.  I asked her what it would feel like if someone laughed at her for how she looked.  She didn't say much in response but I could tell she was thinking.

At the end of the week Skye proudly announced to me, "Mom, I was really nice to him today." 

"Who, Skye?"  I asked.

She replied, "The boy who walks different than me."

"I'm so proud of you!" I exclaimed.

In one short week Skye's thinking had changed.  Her heart had opened and she was offering kindness rather than jeering.

Skye reminded me of the importance of loving others for who they are.  Each of us is created unique, special.

Let us take the time to see beyond the differences to the desire each of us has to be loved, accepted and seen for the remarkable being we are made to be.

I created a video about this last year...I think you might be inspired by it: 

New Vision: Love & Acceptance for All

Offering love to you for who you are :)

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment