Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A Radical Challenge: Let's Eradicate the Comparison Thinking Virus

When a virus emerges that threatens well-being, extreme actions are taken.  Miami, Florida:  Hazmat suits put on.  Pesticides of every type and form sprayed.  Agents going house to house in search of those infected.  Warnings issued by the CDC for pregnant woman to stay far from the infected area. HIGH ALERT!

It's amazing to me that mental viruses aren't seen in a more serious light.  Why wouldn't swift action be taken in one's life if you know a virus has infected your entire being?

Alert, ALERT, ALERT, ALERT--BE ON THE HIGHEST, MOST VIGILANT ALERT POSSIBLE TODAY!

A COMPARISON THINKING VIRUS HAS INFECTED HUMANITY.  

IT ROBS EACH ONE OF US OF VITAL LIFE FORCE.

IT CAUSES US TO WASTE PRECIOUS RESOURCES ON MATERIAL STUFF THAT WILL NEVER SATISFY OUR DEEPER SOUL NEEDS.

My brothers and sisters around the world, I ask for just a few minutes that you take heed of what I say today.  The Comparison Thinking virus is an invisible one but it has infected each of our thinking to such a degree that few of us ever truly feel grateful, happy and like our life can be celebrated.  This virus is typically passed from parents to children and it is never even noticed.  This virus has become the normal state from which humanity lives.

Comparison thinking virus: it is a belief system that tells us we must compare ourselves and our progress and our possessions --every aspect of our lives--to other people and to "fairy tale" standards that the Media portrays through commercials, reality shows, TV and movies.  It is a set of beliefs that has us feeling that no matter how far we have come, how much we have, or what progress we have made--we still just aren't good enough.  It tell us to always be dissatisfied because someone, somewhere has gotten farther along, has more material gain and has in some way out done us.  It tells us we better wake up early, strive harder than ever and keep up with everyone else.  It tells us we aren't good enough just as we are.

Comparison thinking is a sick, twisted way of thinking...when it infects the mind, body and spirit, nothing feels good enough anymore.

Whew.  Just writing those paragraphs exhausted me.  This type of virus drains our energy.  It saps us all day, every day--and most of us don't even realize our brains have been infected.

Let's face it.  The corporations of the world really don't want us to be satisfied with what we have.  If we were, we'd stop so readily handing over the precious, hard earned money we've been sacrificing our life-force to make.

Yet, we, blindly as sheep, take in their masterfully crafted "not good enough" messages:  Your clothes are "last season" and not as nice as other people...your house is not to interior decorator standards...you better spend more to make a picture perfect life or else other people will think you are less than.

REALLY?  When I write it that way, it all seems so obviously ridiculous, doesn't it?  But...

I admit it.  I find this virus still in pockets of my own mind.  Though I've spent the past 13 years revamping my thinking and  eradicating many of the thoughts that warped my mind, just this week, I saw some of this CRAZY THINKING in play.

I found myself feeling bad inside--saying to myself that my house just wasn't clean enough nor "Martha Stewart" enough...that there must be something wrong with me that I can't get my act together like so many other people around me seem to do.  HALT....STOP...WAIT...VIRUS ALERT!

I realized once again, I had bought into some FAIRY TALE idea that I had to have a perfect home.  I started comparing myself to an external standard.  I started looking at what other people had and it created in me a dissatisfaction with the good things I already have.  I have a beautiful place to live.  It is comfortable.  I lack for nothing.  It serves the need it is meant to:  a safe house in which my family can be together and live life as a happy unit.

Whew.  Thankfully I saw it.  I caught it.  I reigned it in.  I got out my microscope and found the source of the thinking that had taken over my brain.  I traced it to it's origin:  those commercials on TV, the pictures in the magazine, and even some of the friends I have who are gifted in interior decoration.  I had started comparing what I had with others and it had sapped my joy and gratitude for the gifts already in my life.

It's sad.  It's sick thinking.  Yet, each of us, to some degree is infected.




There is an antidote for this nasty virus.  Gratitude.  We can choose to see that each day could be a celebration of Life and Possibility.

There are miracles surrounding us, basic ones we all take for granted.

The backdrop of our lives is incredibly miraculous:

  • Planets continue to spin in an orderly fashion (check)
  • The sun rose again this morning (check)
  • My body keeps breathing without me telling it to do anything (check)
  • The beauty of nature is all around me (check)
  • I ate today (check)
  • I drank water today (check)
  • I have clothes to put on my body (check)
  • I have some people in my life who care about me (check)
  • My eyes work.  My ears work.  My hands work.  My legs work. (check)
  • I have innate talents to share with the world around me (check)
  • There is a deep yearning inside of me guiding me to serve others and allow my life to make a difference (check)
Ok.  You get the point, right?

Life is a precious gift.  Most of us have innumerable gifts in our lives.  Yet, it is too easy to turn our attention away from being grateful for the miracles.  Instead, we judge ourselves and our lives for what we have decided we have not yet become...we have not yet done...we have not yet amassed...we have not yet achieved.

Friends, we must wake up.  We must not fall for the purposefully-built in thinking traps that the World thinks are "normal".  We can wake up to our existence in a totally new way!

We must remember that we aren't taking all this material stuff with us.  We came in naked.  We leave naked.  And, at our funerals, people aren't going to be focused in on the titles, the houses, the external trappings of success.  What is it that will really matter when your journey is complete?  LOVE.  SERVICE TO HUMANITY.  TOUCHING LIVES WITH YOUR AMAZING SPIRIT.



What might happen if each of us begin to put our own hazmat suits on and take this Comparison Thinking Virus head on?  We could begin to spray the antidote of  "Gratitude" in the areas of our minds where comparison has taken over.  

We could stop looking around at others in jealousy and feeling less than because of their progress and instead, we could celebrate their progress and let it point us to a sense of amazing possibilities for our own lives.

We could just focus on enjoying life, doing our best each day and moving forward the best we possibly can with our unique potential.  Yes, we could actually have fun rather than worrying about how our life compares to someone else's life.

We could celebrate every step of our own progress and enjoy every gift we already have.

We could encourage others and affirm them for who they are AS THEY ARE RIGHT NOW.  Isn't that what each of truly yearn for?

Wow, that energizes me.  That excites me.  

Beware of the comparison virus.  Take steps to observe this at play in your mind.  Awareness of the virus is the first step to becoming free from it.  Then, replace this habitual thinking with a new set of thinking will get you on the way to more energy, increased vitality and a sense of awe in wonder for the beauty of life that exists all around you.

Here are some new thoughts that might be of help as you transform the old patterns:

My life is on schedule!
I am enough already.
I am a remarkable creation here for a unique purpose.
I focus on my progress and encourage others to do the same.
I'm inspired by other people's growth.
I have what it takes to live my purpose today--even if it is in small ways for now.
I focus on what is truly important in life....
The material is temporary.  I'm grateful for every material gift already in my life! (spend a few minutes thinking about all the gifts...naming them one by one!)
I invest in inner riches:  peace, joy, love, self-compassion, kindness to others.
I release self-judgment.
I choose to be highly vigilant --to take note of the comparison thinking that my society wants me to buy into.  I opt-out of that way of thinking and instead I feel GOOD about my life.
I choose a set of thoughts that empower me, inspire me and bring the best out of me.

You get the idea...you can write your own positive, inner script.

Let's all work together to eradicate the comparison thinking virus...
Imagine how different life would be without it!

Leave a comment.  I'm interested in what you think about this :)

With a smile and fascination of the new possibilities for humanity, 

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
www.patriciaomoqui.com 





2 comments:

  1. Pat that piece is the best inspiring message I have come across so far. God bless you and keep you inspired. I believe and concur with all your comments and will share it with as many people as I can find. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kola Okeowo, Thank you for your feedback! So glad you enjoyed this and I appreciate that you are sharing these ideas with others. I pray that people wake up to their power and potential! Thanks for spreading the light:)

    ReplyDelete