Sunday, December 28, 2008

Harness Your Power: Get Some Rest!


After several non-stop weeks of activity, work and preparation for the holidays, I found myself exhausted. As one of my life coaching clients says, "My demons come out when I'm tired." That's true for me. Exhaustion comes in the form of a tired body and volatile emotions. You can ask my husband, I'm the type to cry when I'm at my low point. Early in my marriage it would upset him but now he understands that it's just how I get when I'm overtired. My warning signs emerged and I knew it was time to stop.




I have gotten a lot of rest the last week. It feels sooooooooo good to sleep or even to sit (or lie down) quietly and just breathe. When I put my kids down for a nap, I put myself down for one too. Sleep is essential to our well-being. Yet, many of us feel it is more important to be busy working (whether on professional work or housework) than it is to fill our tanks with energy.




I am determined to start the New Year in good form. I noticed that not only was I tired, I found myself mentally busy. I am usually very good about slowing down my mind and taking time for meditation. Yet, as I got really busy in December, my mind got into overdrive too. It has been refreshing to quiet my mind and move into my heart. By releasing the mental racing, I find myself clearer both mentally and emotionally.




I am also planning to give my body a break by doing a short fast. I want to clean out my internal systems. Our bodies are machines that need our care. If we don't ever do an "oil change" or "spark plug change" how can we expect to be in optimal working condition?




So, if you aren't feeling as well as you could, please take some time to rest. As you rest, listen to your bodies signals -- is your neck tense? Do you feel sharp or nagging pains anywhere? Are you stopped up, unable to release the waste that needs to flow out? (Sorry to those of you who find that topic disgusting...) Notice what your body is saying. Then, take action to give your body rest, good food, and plenty of love.
I am ready for a vibrant, adventurous 2009. Are you? I'm seeing that my main priority is to stay fully focused in each present moment of life. The more present I am the more I can sense my inner wisdom.
A big hug to each of you!
Take care of yourself as you enter 2009!
Patricia Omoqui

No comments:

Post a Comment