Sunday, December 7, 2008

Harness Your Power: Expect and Enjoy Surprises!




Aren't surprises wonderful? For us adults, they bring out the joyfulness of our inner child. It's nice to see serious adults turn giddy when they receive something that touches their heart.
On the spur of the moment I decided to put together a small birthday party for Maggie. She turns six on December 15th. With her birthday so close to Christmas, it is always a challenge to find the right day to celebrate.

Even doing things at the last minute allowed for a fun celebration: several kids were free to come, a few games were organized, and cookies were baked for decorating with the kids during the party.

As we walked to her bus stop on Friday Maggie said to me, "Mom, is a special visitor coming to my party?" I said, "Some of your friends will be coming." She replied, "Mom, I am not talking about my friends, I'm talking about Elmo or Dora." I smiled, "Ooooooh. I understand. I think they are both busy and won't be able to make it this year."


After finishing at the bus stop I decided to hop on my computer and to see if I could get a last minute invite out to Elmo. As fate would have it, Elmo was free and committed to coming!
We kept it a secret. (Though I almost blew it a few times as I talked to my husband!) Maggie was very excited about her party and sat at the window for an hour beforehand looking for her guests. (see above picture). The guests finally began to arrive and the party got started. We played "Pin the Sunglasses on Santa" (a take off on Pin the Tail on the Donkey.)


Suddenly, Maggie looked out the window and saw a big, red friend walking towards our house! She began screaming at the top of her lungs and ran to the door to let Elmo in! What excitement, enthusiasm and pure joy!!! As a parent, I was so delighted to see my daughter (and her friends) so happy!


I tell you all of this to remind you of a few ideas that we can each use in our own lives. First, find the things that really excited your heart. What do you love? What do you want to experience? Take the time to connect to your desires. Next, ask the Universe to shower you with all that you want. If Maggie hadn't expressed her wishes to me, I never would have hired Elmo for the party. Because of her genuine, heartfelt request, I gave Elmo a call.


Third, ask KNOWING that you will receive. I recently read in Conversations with God about the difference between a prayer of supplication and a prayer of thanksgiving. There is no need to beg your Higher Power for what you want. Begging and pleading comes from an energy of fear and lack. Instead, ask knowing that your prayers have already been answered. Last, leave the results and the timing to the Universe. Trust. The Universe always answers our prayers but often in unexpected ways.


Take the time to make a list of everything you desire to experience! Clarify your intentions. Focus on the emotions you will feel as they arrive in your life. Have faith that at the perfect time these gifts will arrive.


I've been practicing this for several years now. The process works. Though, the Universe tends to surprise me with answers to my request that I could never dreamed of!


One last thing, don't forget to be a kid even if you are an adult. Here are some shots of me, my husband David and Maggie sitting with Elmo by the Christmas tree. (see blog below).


My love and prayers go out to all of you,


Patricia Omoqui
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment