Saturday, August 16, 2008

Harness Your Power: Tap Into Nature


I just finished a walk at a beautiful park in the area. I find it so refreshing to get outside and breathe fresh air. I feel thankful for the cool, gentle breeze coupled with the warm summer air. Being in nature has a way of lifting my spirit.

The past year I've used a technique as I walk to focus my mind and not allow it to wander to my to-do list or to worries. I spend at least 10 minutes while I walk creating positive affirmations about who I am as a person, what I create with my life and the impact I have on the World around me. I call this "Walking in Joy." It's fantastic what this little exercise can do. Even if I find my mood low to start my walk, by the time I've complete these affirmations I feel better.

If for some reason I'm unable to get into "affirmation mode," then instead I will do a "Focus on Gratitude." This is a bit simpler. I just begin to list anything and everything that I can be grateful for. This is a great technique to use while on the treadmill or in other locations such as -- in the car as you drive, as you lay in bed in the morning, while you take your shower, or as you drink your coffee.

I also use my nature walks as a way to hone my observation skills. Today, for instance, I tuned my ears into the crickets chirping, the corn husks brushing against each other and the birds singing. Such wonderful, melodious sounds there are! I also noticed the thump, thump, thump of my own footsteps as I walked along. I used my eyes to enjoy fluttering butterflies, soaring hawks, fluffy clouds, vibrant wildflowers, and last but not least a chubby groundhog.

Isn't life rich and amazing? When we are able to get out of the chitter-chatter of our minds and become more present with the wonders life has to offer us, we feel uplifted by the gifts of the Universe.

Take time this week to tap into nature. You don't need any money in your bank account to enjoy the vast resources the Universe makes available to you at no cost! It just takes a bit of effort on your part to move out of your comfort zone so you can go and experience more of the World around you.

In awe of life,
Patricia Omoqui
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment