Sunday, August 3, 2008

Harness Your Power: Journal for Joy


(This picture is from my journal. Inside the letters JOY I've written the word NOW several hundred times to remind myself that if I stay focused in the present moment I can experience JOY all the time.)


Ever since junior high I've kept a journal. I'd frequently take time to jot down my thoughts and feelings. During my high school years my journal became especially important to me as I worked through the painful emotions of my parent's divorce. It became an outlet for me to express my feelings on paper, often crying and petitioning God for help as I wrote.


As I studied at Princeton and then played professional basketball overseas, I continue to write in my journal. It was a wonderful way to capture the exciting experiences I was having -- in travel, on the basketball court and in my relationships.


Once I returned to the U.S. from my years abroad, I stopped journaling. I'm not sure why this happened, but it did. As my inner turmoil grew, my need to write became important again so I started to use my computer as a journal. I'd sit down and write each day about my experiences. Again, the relief and refreshment I felt from getting my feelings onto paper was immense.

A few months ago I took a new approach with journaling. I had noticed my mom delving into art therapy. She would often sit with colored pencils and blank paper and create the most remarkable pictures. She told me that it was a very helpful exercise for her in processing her emotions and in understanding where she was in her life.

In May I was at Barnes and Noble (one of my favorite places to relax). I happened upon a beautiful journal there and it had blank pages (no lines). Perfect, I thought! Colored pencils happened to be on the adjacent shelf so I picked up a box and headed to the cafe. I am not an artist AT ALL (or so I had told myself all my life). I started by doodling words that were important to me -- Dreams, Expand, Fear focus, Joy, Peace. I am amazed what happened both in the page and in my heart.

Journaling in this artistic way became such a joy for me. It helped me to create a means to sit calmly and express my feelings again. Using pictures and words brought a whole new element to my journaling. By drawing and coloring I was able to connect with an even deeper level of who I am. Expressing my thoughts and feelings brought me joy and relief.

I've put a number of my recent drawings in the blog below so you can get a sense of what I'm talking about. I am finding that as I continue to allow my creative juices to flow and combine with my life experience, that magical things are flowing from my hand to the page. I NEVER thought I'd find such joy in this type of expression.

I'd encourage you this week to begin to express your feelings on the page. Do it in any way that feels comfortable to you -- writing in a traditional journal, doodling on a piece of scrap paper, coloring a mandala, sign-up for an online journal or type your thoughts into a Word document. How you go about doing this doesn't matter. What matters is that you provide yourself an outlet to release the pent-up emotions. Journaling is an excellent tool to assist you in healing yourself and expressing your joy.

A big hug to all,

No comments:

Post a Comment