Saturday, August 30, 2008

Harness Your Power: Question Your Thoughts


I've been reminded this week of something I know so well but in challenging situations have to remind myself to practice: it is essential to question our thoughts! Our minds are often tyrants that send us into negative emotional spirals. Our old "fear and worry tapes" start playing in uncomfortable situations. The thoughts that arise (and that we buy into without questioning) can send us into mild discomfort and even deep depression.


This past week I observed myself following thought trails into deep personal suffering. I teach people a process called Harness Your Power which, in three simple steps, allows you to release old thoughts and beliefs and replace them with new, consciously chosen thoughts. I practice this process day in and day out. I'm good at it. Yet, when the deepest points of pain that remain inside me are touched, my mind still can get the most of me.


I'm thankful for the past few days where I've seen my mind do this frantic dance. I know the level of mastery and enlightenment I want to attain so I recognize the beauty of moving through pain to deeper levels of healing and growth.


The last 24 hours have shown me that when our pain bodies take over (read Eckhart Tolle's book, A New Earth) they can overtake us--unless, of course, we begin to observe and question them.


I was guided last night to http://www.oprah.com/ and watch a series of Webcasts she did with Byron Katie as part of her Soul Series. Byron Katie wrote an amazing book called Loving What Is. In her book she teaches four questions to use in challenging your thoughts. One of the questions that I find very helpful is, "Who would I be without this thought?" I use this question often and recognize that if I stopped the worry thoughts and guilty thoughts -- fully letting them go-- I can move back into a state of peace.


As we move through this week I encourage all of us to watch our thoughts. Notice the thoughts that cause you discomfort and pain. Then, ask yourself the above question. See that as you learn to release thoughts of suffering you can find peace right now.


Let's keep learning and growing together!
{On a sweet, beautiful note, my oldest daughter, Maggie was so excited this week as we attended her kindergarten orientation. She was bouncing with delight as we left the house. The smile on her face as she met her teachers, friends and saw her new classroom helped me to see the excitement available to us in life. Kids haven't forgotten the joy -- and they haven't gotten lost in fearful thinking...let's be more like them:) }


With deep love for each of you,


Patricia Omoqui

No comments:

Post a Comment