Sunday, May 4, 2008

Harness Your Power: Move Beyond Labels

As I sit here writing this blog there is a heaviness I feel in my chest. Maybe you can relate to this feeling. Have you ever received news that made your heart sink? That’s what I experienced on Friday.

I received news on Friday – or should I say, I was given a label for the syndrome that is the root cause of the health issues that my oldest daughter Maggie has experienced since birth. It’s ironic to have received this label on Friday. On Thursday I was elated because Maggie was able to point out all the letters in a word. She did this as we were driving home from school. I honked the horn for her and cheered really loud in the car. She smiled and felt so proud of her accomplishment. I felt relief – maybe things are getting easier for her.


Fast forward 12 hours. The pediatrician calls with the results of some blood work. She proceeds to tell me that the blood work revealed an underlying genetic condition. We didn’t think the blood work would come back positive. But it did.


Over the course of the next 24 hours I grieved, processed, and began to wrap my arms around this label my daughter has been given. How could it be that hearing this label would change the way I see my daughter? How could I begin to worry about the future again just because we have a new word to describe Maggie’s experience?


I sit here not knowing what this label means. Of course, I read all there was to read on the Internet to get a base understanding of what it might mean. On Monday I will see a geneticist and get a better understanding of this label.


The most helpful thing my mom said to me was, “Trish, Maggie won’t be limited by a label. Maggie is here on her journey and the experience she has chosen is going to be beautiful. Remember the speech you delivered last year – you told the audience that Maggie is perfect just the way she is. That hasn’t changed. Nothing has changed. You must live in the present moment and open to the tremendous beauty that will come from this situation. You can do this. You did it once already when she was initially diagnosed. You can choose to see her beauty and see the magnificent possibilities in her life.”


I believe that the only limits we have are those we place upon ourselves. The only limits we experience are those we “buy into.” It’s clear to me today that the labels we use to describe ourselves and our roles in life can be highly limiting. What if instead of allowing ourselves to be defined by labels, we began to define the labels ourselves? Must we buy into what society tells us a label should mean?


I had initially written a blog for this week entitled, “Moment by Moment Choices.” I am writing the same blog but from a very different inner space. As I move through this situation and come to understand it more deeply, I see clearly that I have a moment by moment choice of what I focus my thoughts on. Will I focus on fear and limitation? Or, will I focus on joy and love?


In situations like this I return to the principles I teach my clients:


  • Live in the moment.

  • Open to the unlimited possibilities of what you can create with your life.

  • Choose to release all fear and worry.

  • Relax.

  • Release the fear and the heaviness to the Universe.

  • Lighten up.

  • Soar through life.

  • Enjoy each and every micro-second of life.

It’s so interesting how life circles around back to the same core issues and challenges. Five years ago I was faced with the same thoughts, feelings and fears. I celebrate the fact that I have grown tremendously the last few years.

I don’t believe in the word “disability.” What does that mean anyway? Just because there are people who are different than the “norm,” doesn’t mean that they are limited. We assume people who are different are limited. Those with different physical bodies and different mental capacities have the chance to create unique life journeys. Why do we choose to label these people and assume them to be something less or something strange? I believe that these Earth Angels are here to challenge us to open our eyes and interpret life in new ways.

Watch yourself this week. Notice how often you label yourself and limit yourself with labels. Notice how often you do this to other people. Watch how you react when you see someone with a physical challenge. Do you grimace? Do you feel uncomfortable? Choose to understand these feelings more deeply. Choose to open your mind and celebrate what is different and unique. Choose to celebrate the amazing life journey these individuals are on.

There is still a pressure in my chest and many tears that are ready to flow from my eyes. I choose to be authentic and real as I move through this situation with my daughter. Is this hard? Yes, it feels uncomfortable and tense. I have learned that when I embrace these challenges, I grow and expand in ways that I didn’t even know were possible. I welcome this pain. I invite it in. I feel it fully. I realize that the more human experiences I move through, the more people I am able to relate to.

Life’s difficulties are rich. Am I abundant? Yes. Am I blessed? Yes. Am I thankful for this experience with this new label? Yes.

May we move beyond our labels and define who we want to be.

With tears, pain, hope, joy, passion and deep care for anyone who is experiencing challenge in their life right now,

Your friend and coach,
Patricia Omoqui
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

1 comment:

  1. A label takes what is temporary and attempts to make it permanent. What we all have is now.  The moments change from second to second. Everyone changes from moment to moment.  That is the beauty of life as a human being. No second is the same and in each second we are enough. Enough...is the precious gift we give to another. Rest in that for it gives joy and peace.Gratefully,Brenda Anglin www.brendaanglin.com

    ReplyDelete