Saturday, May 31, 2008

Harness Your Power: Take Time for Refreshment




I spent time this week with my best friend, Carrie, who I met over 10 years ago. The Universe brought her and I together as friends through a friend I had at Princeton. His parents were missionaries on the island of Madeira (situated off the coast of Portugal). The three of us spent a summer together there helping his parents with camps and other work they were doing. It was a fun, intense learning experience. The most important thing I gained from the summer was a soul sister and life-long friend.



I had fun with her 2 year old daughter Keira. We went to the park together on a gorgeous, sunny day. When Carrie told Keira it was time to go home, Keira said, “No go home. Live in park.” She kept saying that over and over. It was so cute. It was so beautiful how Keira loved nature and felt connected to the animals, trees and sunshine.



Keira reminds me this week of getting back to the basics of enjoying the small wonders in nature. The night I arrived at their house Keira invited me outside to see a frog family that lived in the backyard. She was fascinated by the frogs. She also was excited by the beautiful fire her daddy built for Carrie and me to roast marshmallows and make S’mores. Keira was intrigued by the flames, amazed when the fire crackled. I regained a sense of wonder by observing her fascination with life.



Carrie and I sat in the dark after Keira was asleep. She lives in a small town in Connecticut full of apple orchards. It was wonderful to be under a starry sky listening to the noises of the night. I felt at peace in nature.



Earlier in the week I also had the privilege of visiting Rickets Glenn state park situated just outside of Scranton, PA. My mom was my guide as we hiked a trail to the most breathtaking waterfalls I’ve seen in years. She also introduced me to the Hemlock Temple, a virgin forest with trees hundreds of years old. We walked in total silence through this forest. I could feel my feet sink into the soft Earth beneath me. I felt so supported by the ground. We both felt intense energy, life pulsing in this forest.


Time in nature reinvigorates me. My energy tank had gotten really low the past few months with all the challenges I’ve been facing. I could sense myself close to empty so I finally listened to my body, mind and spirit beckoning me for a break.


I encourage each of you to take some sort of a break this week – even if that means ½ of a personal day to go to a local park or a few hours of “YOU” time where you can do something that boosts your energy. Why put this off? Why not purposefully schedule time for yourself ASAP. Your well-being is a priority!



After experiencing this week of refreshment I’m determined to schedule mini-breaks more often. I am a better mother and wife when I feel well. I’m more effective as a life coach, writer and speaker when my energy is high. It feels good to be in this space.


I beckon you to remember the importance of self-care. You won’t regret giving your body, mind and spirit what it needs.


With much love,
Patricia Omoqui
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/
p.s. I think I may start living in the park like Keira suggested. It would be fun to make the slide my bed and use the water fountain to brush my teeth:)

No comments:

Post a Comment