Saturday, December 17, 2016

On Syria & Healing the War Within

I've been watching the unfolding devastation in Syria and my heart has been broken.  To see the intense suffering the people of Syria are going through--their cities destroyed, the loss of loved ones, the desperation of leaving Aleppo in total uncertainty.

I've been asking, "What can I do? How can I be part of the solution?"

I've found many amazing organizations that are unifying and bringing together resources to help the situation at a grass-roots level.

Yet, I was yearning for something more, something deeper that would allow me to be part of the solution.

As I sat in meditation this morning, I was reminded of the saying, "As Within, So Without."

In my mind's eye I became aware that within each of us is a massive war.  Just as we have watched the Russian and Iranian war planes drop bombs upon Aleppo to cause destruction, so too, on a daily basis many of us allow the inner war planes of self-judgment and self- sabotage to come in and destroy our inner landscape.



As we drop those bombs within ourselves, we destroy the possibilities of peaceful co-existence in our inner world.

As we open fire on our dreams with the bullets of our fears, we create an inner slaughter of our deepest desires.  Bloody, wounded...our dreams and aspirations and hopes die within ourselves.

As we let loose the destructive self-hatred bombs on a daily basis--barraging ourselves with demeaning thoughts of Not Good Enough, Unworthy, Undeserving --we cause vital, alive aspects of ourselves to flee the war and hide, going underground or heading to refugee camps to wait until the war subsides.

This example I am offering is not extreme friends.  It's real.  The war within ourselves is wreaking havoc and destruction on our inner landscapes.  The factions within us--the parts that stand for peace, justice and a desire to build remarkable possibilities are at war with the aspects of ourselves that hate us and seek to destroy what we truly desire.



How can I make the situation in Syria better and be part of a solution?

Yes, I can donate to these grass-roots organizations who are working so hard to make a difference.

But, more profoundly, I can work to bring all the aspects of myself to the table for peace talks.
I can immediately call an end to the inner bombing campaigns of the self-sabotaging thought habits.
I can bring a cease-fire about and notify my fears that they no longer are permitted destroy the incredible dreams that exist within me.
I can create a humanitarian corridor within myself to allow safe passage for all the sad, disheartened aspects of myself to return to help re-build my inner world.
I can open the door for co-existence of all the various parts of me.
I can give comfort to my inner child who for a time was lost in the rubble of my inner war.



I can bring total peace to myself so that I can allow creativity to emerge so that I am a thriving, micro-scopic aspect of humanity.  If I do this, I am certain to be part of the macro-level changes I wish to see in the World.

I'm not sure if I have fully communicated to you the profound awareness I have gained this morning.

Change begins WITHIN me.
Peaceful co-existence begins WITHIN me.
Love for all aspects of humanity begins WITHIN me.
Eradication of fear, hatred and destruction begins WITHIN  ME!

Imagine for just one moment being at total peace within yourself.  Imagine for a second that love and kindness and compassion pervade your entire being.  Dream with me for a second and think of how the energies that have caused inner war are instead channeled into building the most incredibly beautiful, thriving inner World and life your heart so desperately longs for.

What would happen in our individual lives if we took the steps needed to bring this about?

Then, what would happen in our families....in our neighborhoods....in our cities....in our countries...and therefore, across this entire planet?

This is the highest call to action each of us can take on--to stop the war within and build a new world from WITHIN ourselves.

Sending you love,
I'd love to hear your thoughts if any of these ideas resonated with you via the comments section below....

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.

No comments:

Post a Comment