Sunday, January 31, 2010

Harness Your Power: Thinking Storms

Have you ever felt completely overwhelmed mentally, emotionally and physically when you begin to focus either on your fears or on intensely painful stories from your past?

I've decided to call these experiences "Thinking Storms."

I had a few today.  Some of my old financial fears were activated.  I sat and watched the mental patterns churn.  I noticed the sick feeling in my stomach and tension in my shoulders.  I could feel my breathing get faster.  The nervous inner energy translated into tapping my hand and wiggling my leg. 

A thinking storm was in full force.

What could I do?

I've learned the past few years that there are plenty of ways to move into the eye of the thinking storms.  Here's what I did today:  I moved into my Observer role and watched the thoughts, observing them in detail.  I observed the way it moved through the emotional and physical body.  I knew what was going on inside myself because this old pattern has repeated itself thousands and thousands of times.

I smiled as I saw it, even in the midst of the intensity.  Then, I began with affirmations: "I am safe.  I am supported.  I am guided in every moment.  I am blessed beyond measure.  (Then, I listed every blessing I could think of).  I am abundantly cared for by the Universe.  I am healthy, happy and whole.  Everything I need moves easily into my life. .." 

The old thoughts kept wanting to take over.  So, then, I moved into deep breathing.  I watched the mental patterns swirling.  I breathed and could sense an inner peace even as the thought storm seemed to intensify.

I just kept breathing and affirming what I WANTED rather than focusing on my fears.

My children entered the room.  I shifted my thoughts onto them, noticing every little detail of their lovely faces.  How beautiful they are.  How full of life.  I looked deeply into their eyes and saw the Spark of Life.  I felt a moment of incredible joy and fulfillment.

They left the room and those thinking storms wanted to restart.  I said a prayer and offered the mental burdens to the Divine. 

Before I knew it, the storm had passed and my energy felt refreshed.

I wanted to share this with you because I experience the challenge of old thought patterns.  I just deal with them in a much different way now.  The thought storms do not have the same power over me.  I can be calm as they happen.

Hope these ideas will be helpful to you!
They sure work for me and my clients.

Affirmations.  Breathing.  Gratitude.  Mindfulness.  Prayer.  Handing over the Burdens.

Excellent tools to help you feel safe in the midst of the storms.

With all my love,
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes your ideas are helpful. Thank you for speaking the "truth" regarding old fears. Sometimes when we think we have done a lot of good work on ourselves the old fears decide to come back. It is disappointing to know they are there to show themselves. Your blog helps to put it in perspective. Say gday to them and let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sara...it's amazing because these old patterns keep coming up and the difference is that we can see them, move through them differently and find our inner freedom more quickly. Love your words, "Say gday to them and let them go!" Nicely put :) Much love to you this week.

    ReplyDelete