Sunday, September 20, 2009

Harness Your Power: Recent Observations






Share your dreams with everyone you meet! Let passion overflow from your heart as you tell others about what you love. I'm doing this regularly and it is amazing the connections that occur when I do. Not only are people happy to hear someone excited about life, but they often are very helpful and willing to connect me with the next person I need to meet.




This happened last night at a birthday party we attended. There were some Africans at the party. We got to talking about the need for development on the continent. I shared what my concerns were and the way I believe change could come about in Nigeria. One word led to another and before you knew it, I found that the person I was speaking to had a contact at a TV station in Kenya. You just never know!



Most importantly, I felt happy and uplifted by the conversation we had. I met a fantastic human being who cared about positive change. Those moments are to be treasured and savored.



Then, this morning after walking on the treadmill I felt the urge to go shoot hoops. I haven't done this in months. I followed the feeling and had a great time. As I shot I was reminded that when you develop a skill, you don't ever lose it.


Swoosh, swoosh, swoosh, the ball went through the net! I hadn't lost my touch and it was fun to see that the thousands of hours I'd spent training are never lost. Dedication, perseverance and daily practice pays off no matter what skill you are trying to develop. I have found that it works just as well with speaking and writing as it works in becoming good at a sport!



After I finished shooting around I picked my girls up from the Kids Club at the gym. They wanted to know what I had been doing so I took them over to the court to see first hand. They loved what they saw! We walked out of the gym and a gentleman asked me, "Where did you play?" I told him about playing at Princeton and overseas. Guess what? He had just applied to Princeton for graduate school. We had a fantastic conversation. Again, I just shared from my heart and enjoyed the momentary connection.



People are wonderful. Years back I would keep to myself and not have much energy to connect with others. Now that I feel better about myself and life, I am meeting people more than ever. It feels good to see this change.



So, dear friend, share your dreams. Connect with others. Have fun talking. Help others and see how willing they are to help you!



Have fun this week,



Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.







2 comments:

  1. "Dedication, perseverance and daily practice pays off no matter what skill you are trying to develop. I have found that it works just as well with speaking and writing as it works in becoming good at a sport!"

    I am really glad I stopped by today to read this. I am trying to get back on track with this driving thing and I realize that is all about practice. Thanks for sharing these stories. They are touching an true which means so much!

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, MC, it is about practice and taking little tiny baby steps to move forward...it is also identifying the specific fears and really questioning them...You can do whatever it is you set your heart and mind to. I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete