Saturday, August 8, 2009

Harness Your Power: Just Dive In!


Last night was a surprise. I took the kids to their last day of swimming lessons. Little did any of us know that they were going to give each child a chance to go off the diving board. As I watched the children in the pool I could see a wave of excitement move through their bodies.


Skye's group headed to the pool and Maggie's followed very soon after. I quickly gathered my things so I could get a glimpse of the action.


Skye was fearless. She walked right to the edge of the diving board and took a big leap forward with no hesitation! Her instructor, Mr. Mike, was waiting down below with arms extended to help her in any way she needed it. She was so proud of herself and eager to get back on the diving board and do it again!


Maggie was full of courage. She marched 1/2 way down the board and then suddenly, hesitation set in. Her teacher got on the board with her and helped her to the end. With toes on the edge, Maggie stood at the end for a minute unsure of whether to jump or not. Then, to my delight (and hers) she jumped right in. Again, Mr. Mike was there to help her make it to the ladder at the side of the pool.


For the next hour there was constant chatter, "Mom, I went off the diving board!" Even total strangers were given the good news, "I just went off the diving board!" As I put the girls to bed there was still a sparkle in their eye and they asked me, "When can we go off the diving board again, Mom?"


Watching them last night got me thinking deeply. First off, I am always refreshed to see my children's excitement for life. Going to the pool is as exciting to them sometimes as going on a major international trip. The littlest daily accomplishments bring them a deep feeling of pride and self-satisfaction. Their bubbly approach to each day makes me realize that it is way more fun to approach life like a child does. (I'm trying to regress in age rather than get older...I want to be as child-like as possible!)


I then began to consider the diving board experience. What I loved most about it was the tremendous support each of them were offered. Their success was guaranteed if they just jumped into the water. A teacher was behind them and a teacher was waiting for them in the water to ensure they were safe and given whatever level of support they needed. I believe this is a perfect example of the way the Universe works with each of us. We are surrounded by help. Yet, few of us recognize the constant kindness and support we are offered as we walk our path and find ourselves in uncertain circumstances.


Is there a place in your life that you are feeling ready to take the plunge and ready to try something new? Dont' let your fear hold you back. Support is there even if you can't perceive it. The Universe surrounds us and cheers us on when we follow the longings of our heart. There was a book title that popped into my mind -- Leap and the Net Will Appear. That's the truth, isn't it?


There have been moments the past few years as I left the security of the corporate world and dove head first into my own business that I wondered if I'd be okay. Each step of the way has provided me with new challenges. I've found myself on the edge of the diving board time after time wanting to jump forward, feeling excitement rush through my body. I've had to JUST DIVE IN. There has not been one time I've taken the dive that I haven't received all the help I needed.
I can look back over my life and find countless examples of how I've taken the leap and the next has always appeared!


What are you waiting for? Now is your time to dive in and experience the life you truly want to live.


Joining you on the diving board of life,


Patricia Omoqui



No comments:

Post a Comment