Saturday, June 20, 2009

Harness Your Power: Love What You Do!


I've spent quite a deal of time with Maggie and Skye this week since they are now on summer break. It's such a pleasure to have this luxury (something I now considered a necessity). As we drove to some of our favorite places (the park, the zoo, the library, the pool) I was continually reminded that not too long ago, I would never have the freedom to spend this time with them. For many years I did not have this flexibility.


Let's rewind to 2004: I was sitting in an office with a nice title, a good paycheck and feeling BORED out of my mind. To honor my employer I did my best every day. I must admit, though, that my mind often wandered to the question, "What do I REALLY want to do with my life?"


I struggled for a long time and could only answer, "I don't know." Even though I couldn't pinpoint the type of position or title I wanted to have, I began writing down the things I wanted: flexibility, more time with my kids, to feel happy every day, to have freedom to travel and work whenever and wherever I wanted...the list grew over time. This clarification process went on for over a year and then suddenly, the light bulb came on. I spent two days at a Terri Levine seminar called The Learning Spa and within the first few minutes of being there, I KNEW! Many attendees were life coaches and they began explaining their job to me. What? I could get paid to help people improve their lives and feel better about themselves???


I instantly realized coaching was for me. Not more than five minutes later the first speaker got on stage. I sat in my seat wondering, "Why am I not up there speaking?" I had done public speaking in junior high, high school, college and as a professional basketball player. I knew that I wanted to be on stage again.


At that point I already was producing my daily email list, Food For Thought (you can sign up at my website http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/ ). So, I finally concluded with my affirmative statement: I am an internationally recognized speaker, life coach and writer. Wow. I had my vision. It was finally clear.


The road forward was not always easy as I got launched but I kept taking small steps each day: printed business cards, set up a blog, a website, took coaching classes, did speaking gigs for free -- I started where I was with the resources I had and before I knew it, I had a paid speaking engagement and a paying coaching client! Those were exciting times for me and I certainly celebrated. There were often challenges and there still are many that I face. However, I LOVE what I do.


A friend commented on my Facebook site the other day, "Trish, you are really good at this." Yes, I am. I am good at it because it is what I am passionate about and it fits who I am as a person. My growing success has to do with my hunger to learn more, to help more people and to be the best ME that I can be.


If you are sitting in a boring job wondering how you can stomach another day of work, please begin to affirm this several times an hour through your day: I open to doing something I love to do for my work. Open to the possibility that there IS another option and you CAN find it! Just starting to believe that you won't be stuck doing work you tolerate (or even hate) will give you some fresh energy. Then begin to imagine waking up and feeling truly excited about the day ahead rather than dreading it! How different would that be?


I challenge you this week to spend at least 10 minutes each day thinking about what you would really love to do. If you already have a job you enjoy, then spend the time dreaming about personal endeavors that get your juices flowing -- is there a book waiting to emerge from your soul? Are you longing to travel to every country on the Globe by age 55? Do you want to fly in a hot air balloon? Let your heart open and allow any suppressed desires to come up for exploration.


When you do what you love and love what you do, life begins to feel much like heaven. Yes, there are still difficulties, road bumps and detours in life, but you have a lighter spirit and more energy to deal with them.


What would you really, really, really love to do? How do you really want to feel about life? Who do you desire to be? Some wonderful questions to ponder this week!


If you need any support in answering these questions, please email me. In my work, I help people get clear on what they truly want in life and then give them the support they need in moving one baby step at a time towards it.


Loving life,

Patricia Omoqui





No comments:

Post a Comment