Sunday, May 31, 2009

Harness Your Power: Silence & Listening


I spent this entire week looking inside myself, learning and growing. I was reminded through some interactions with people close to me, that I want to improve my listening skills. A few days before these conversations occurred, I had picked up a book at the library called, "The Sacred Art of Listening." How is it that I always have the books I need right at hand? I'm so grateful for the way the Universe is always at work, supporting and preparing me even when I don't know what I need!


In this helpful book, I was reminded of the importance of practicing personal silence. Quieting our minds opens up space for us to BE more of ourselves. It is also an important practice in relation to listening. If our minds are uncontrolled when we are by ourselves, the mind's activity will inevitably pick up its pace when we are interacting with others. Then, when we find ourselves in intense conversations where we hold differing viewpoints with others, the mental speed ramps up another notch entirely!


Practicing silence helps us to see that we can be in control of our minds rather than having our minds in control of us. We are able to slow down the thinking mechanism and open up space in our head and our heart when we do this. Then, during our daily life, we can use silence "on-demand" to get back to peace. I often spend moments breathing each day to calm myself and regain perspective. The same can be true for using silence in the time we spend with others.


To truly listen to another person, we must be able to slow our minds down. If not, we will be thinking of our to-do list, past history we've had with the other person or the next thing we want to say to them rather than deeply hearing them. If our minds are quiet, we can graciously accept their words and take them in. Rather than jumping into a barrage of comebacks, we can sit and consider their perspectives. Then, after a few moments of quiet, we can respond lovingly to what they say.


Imagine if only 1% more people in the World practiced this! There would be less conflict and love would grow. We all desire to be heard. So, let's take time this week to work on our listening skills. I'd recommend that each day for the upcoming week you spend at least 2 minutes in silence focused on your breath. See if you can get your mental chatter to slow down a bit. Fill your lungs with breath and shift your own energy. Practice this on your own first. Then, if you find yourself in an intense conversation with another person, practice it again. Quiet your mind and practice moving your thoughts out of the way so you can receive what they are communicating to you.


Let me know how this goes! Let's be the change we want to see in the World. Let's reduce the conflict in our lives so that we reduce the conflict in the World at large.


On a side-note, please check out my updated website. It is full of wonderful resources to support you in your personal growth and well-being. My only desire in life is that more and more people see that they can move beyond suffering and become truly peaceful and happy inside.


A big hug,

Patricia Omoqui

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your blog posts. I look forward to reading them every week and your insight has helped me on my road of recovery to find peace and joy in this world.

    I have experienced a lot of trouble listening lately because my mind is racing. Your suggestions here help me slow down, and find myself in the moment...as opposed to planning the next ten moments to come.

    This is great sound advice I am going to refer back to often.

    Thanks,

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome MC. I look forward to writing these each week because it forces me to commit my personal learning to paper and get clearer myself.

    I trust your mind is calming down and that you are experiencing deeper peace.

    Blessings to you!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts actually bring to mind what my mum used to and still says to me about my impatience at listening before responding in which she always refers me to the bible verse which says be slow to speak but swift to listen but at times i just forget tolisten up. but the good thing is the fact that there are times when it doesnt personally invollve me,am usually a good listener but when it pertains to me somehow,am sure i wont wait for the words to come out before i speak up.
    I will just try to be more conscious whenever i think i am not expected to speak but listen.
    keep the posts flowing.

    Rgards,

    Bunmi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Bunmi. Yes, what great advice from your mum. If each of us took just a few moments of silence to consider the words we were about to speak and the impact those words would have, I bet we would say a whole lot less. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete