Monday, February 23, 2009

Harness Your Power: What's Right?



Have you noticed that when you worry about something that your suffering intensifies? Are you aware that when you re-live situations from the past, fretting about them, that you are suffering about something you can never change?



As I worked with several clients this week I was reminded of the importance of what we choose to focus on. This may sound very simplistic to you, and it actually is. Each moment we have choices to make: Will we focus on what seems wrong in a situation or will we focus on what seems right?


My grandmother is a wonderful woman. About four months ago, due to some major health issues, her sons and daughters realized that she needed full time care. They moved her to a nursing home in the area. This was a major change for her. At first, she could only find things wrong with the situation--the food was terrible, the people who worked there were not nice enough, and the bed was uncomfortable.


It was hard to see her resist this change but our family understood that she was going through something difficult. We were patient and did our best to see the good in the situation for her until she could see it herself. After about 2 months she began to settle in. One night my mom called me and said, "You'll never believe what Grammy said." She continued, "She said how she loved the food and how the people are so kind to her!" Wow. What a change this was.


Did the situation change? No. My grandma's focus changed. It went from finding the things she didn't like to appreciating the things she did like. As a life coach, it was fascinating for me to observe this transition.


My grandmother, as well as my clients, always remind me that if I'm going to teach people to focus on the positive aspects of situations, then I better do the work too! So, moment after moment, I search for any good thing I can find in the challenges in my personal life and in the World at large. It is amazing that there is ALWAYS something good to focus on -- even if it is something small, there is good in everything.


I challenge you this week to lessen your personal suffering by posting these questions all around you (in your home and in your office -- maybe even your car): "What's Right? What positive aspects can I find (in this person, in this situation etc.) "


If nothing comes to mind, then just be quiet. Listen. You will be guided to new perspectives and new ways to see life. Awaken to each moment -- miracles abound.


May you see the blessings all around you, even in seemingly dire circumstances,
A big hug of comfort and love,
Patricia Omoqui
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/


1 comment:

  1. Thanks to your help I have learned howmuch sufferng I have created for myself by trying to control the things I cannot change. As I follow your helpful suport Trish, I learn, and re-learn the importance of humility and how I show up as both martyr and controller. Blessings, this is incredible stuff for my soul. Sharon

    ReplyDelete