Sunday, February 1, 2009

Harness Your Power: Love and Give


This has been a shocking week for me. On Thursday I received a call from my mom. She told me that my grandfather had passed away. I could hardly believe the news. Even though he was 87, he was strong, positive and a constant in my life. Saturday we had a simple but touching memorial service to celebrate his life. As people shared stories about my grandfather and talked about how he had impacted their lives, the theme became clear: he loved and accepted every person he encountered and he had a giving heart. (This picture shows my grandfather and my niece, Trinity on Christmas Eve this past year).


It's amazing to see the ripple effect that my grandfather's love had on our family. Because of him, my mom learned to be kind and truly accept people. Thus, she passed that gift on to me and taught me, through her example, that every person I encounter is important, special and worthy of love.


My grandfather was extra-special to me. After my parents divorced when I was 16, my dad was absent from my life. During those years, my grandfather played a vital role. He came to all my volleyball and basketball games. He was one of the loudest voices in the stands, "Go Trish!" I heard that throughout every game and it was so comforting and encouraging to have him cheering me on. He was there when I scored my 1,000 point at Souderton High school. He walked me down the aisle at my wedding. He was at the hospital soon after each of my children were born. No matter where I was traveling or what I was up to in my life, I knew my grandfather was thinking of me, supporting me and praying for me.


An amazing life. I believe life is so very simple. Our true purpose is to be love, to share love and to engage in loving acts to show others they are important to us. That's it. Very easy to do. So, why does it get so complex?


It's ironic to me that today our pastor spoke about being a generous giver. It's like the Universe continued the theme from the memorial service yesterday -- what joy comes when we are willing to give from our heart lovingly. As we do, we receive tremendous gifts in return. There is no need to be stuck in a "MINE" mentality -- guarding our possessions, striving constantly after more stuff, postponing our joy for a day when we have more.


On another note, I had the opportunity to spend some extra time with my daughter Maggie this week when we went to a doctor appointment. On my way home she said to me, "Mom, I love my life. I love our neighborhood. I love my house. I love my friends. I love my school bus. I love my family." Wow. She has never so clearly expressed her gratitude for her life. I smiled wide as I heard her words. I am SO thankful to have a 6 year old daughter who loves life. There is very little more that I can ask for than that my children be happy, grateful and full of love.


I desire to pass on to my children what my grandfather gave to me: I want them to understand that every person is an incredibly unique creation of God. I want them to learn by my example that each person deserves to feel respected, accepted and loved rather than judged.


My joy in life right now is so profound. Though my grandfather's death has brought many tears, it has also shown me how simple, loving acts can make a tremendous difference in the world.


May you be filled with inspiration to LIVE LOVE this week.

All my love for each of you.


Patricia Omoqui

2 comments:

  1. Patricia,
    I have heard many things about your grandfather.Thank you for sharing your experience of his life. I'm sure you and others will live in that Love.
    Dennis B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis,
    Thank you for your note. Yes, the love he shared lives in my heart and has created a ripple effect already:)

    Love,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete