Sunday, April 20, 2008

Harness Your Power: Shake Up Your Routines


I receive wonderful signs and reminders from the Universe all the time. Early last week I was driving and I was behind a license plate that said "MENTOR." In my life coaching work, I basically am acting in the role of a mentor all the time. Then, the next license plate I saw said, "Live2Laugh." Wow, that was certainly a clear message to me to lighten up and laugh more.

It's so easy to take our lives seriously and forget to just have fun. It's also easy to get into ruts -- doing the same things day after day. We often keep our schedules the same every day because it is comfortable. We get used to a routine.

I realized this week that I was getting in a rut with my daily routine. Though I love my work, I found that working from home was eating into my joy of being at home. I'd be at home all day long doing life coaching and writing and then, I'd be at home all evening with the kids. I could feel the restlessness growing inside me. I listened to my inner voice and it said, "Live2Laugh, Trish." It told me to find things to do and places to go that would bring something fresh to my life.

I listened. By making a few simple changes, I felt refreshed. Rather than writing from home, I took the time to drive into Philadelphia and found a lovely cafe with outdoor seating where I could do my writing. I took a longer walk in the park than normal and changed up my walking route. I drove a different route to pick up my kids from school. I laughed at myself as I saw how easy it is to gravitate back to the normal routine.

We often trap ourselves in the ordinary when there is so much to experience! There are so many places to visit, so many new people to meet, yet we sit in our houses feeling down and depressed. We want to change the way we feel but we continue to do the same thing every day. I believe they call insanity: doing the same thing and expecting a new result. Well, I don't want to live an insane life. Unless, of course, my life is insanely wonderful!

Take time this week to observe your daily routine. Are you stuck in a rut? Is it time to become consciously aware of the choices you are making with your time? Could you try a new food? Could you visit a museum? Could you try a new hobby? Is there a networking group you could attend so you can expand your network of friends and professionals? Why not get up at a different time each day -- maybe a few minutes early and do some stretching?

The possibilities of how we live each day are endless. So, why box yourself in? Let loose this week. Try something new and enjoy the bit of discomfort you feel in changing the routine.

Let's laugh this week. Let's take deep breaths and enjoy the fresh air. Play, play, and play some more. Let your work be play.

As you lighten up about life and laugh more, you can't help but feel better.

Making the most of every day,
Trish Omoqui
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment