Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What To Do If You Get UNWANTED Guests!




This week I thought I'd share one of my favorite poems with you by this deep-thinking poet named Rumi.  It is a piece that has helped me to become more self-compassionate and self-aware.  It has also reminded me of the value of each experience, of each emotion, of each challenge.  So, enjoy this lovely piece.  And, share your comments after you read it!

Enjoy the week ahead!

Patricia Omoqui


The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.

Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,

still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
translation by Coleman Barks

6 comments:

  1. Aunty pato dat was a tot provoking blog.Who is dat jellaludin rumi?I tot I av cin him in spiritual books of Eckankar b4..Can u lend more light 2 his roots?tanx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear from you!

    Rumi is an amazing poet from the 13th century. Please check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi

    His poetry is incredibly deep, spiritual and thought provoking. He is my favorite poet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.What a poem.If only this body recognises this.Awareness was what i was, when i was nobody.Thought provoking indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, incredible poem...I could read it over and over!

      Delete
  4. Aunty pato,will check dat up cos I am also sunk up in his tots.When I responded 2 ur fearless post on fbuk wit d name 'pundit boyo' I hadn't checked ur comments on dis blog.Tanx 4 ur response.If rumi was fantastic den u ar fantanbulous..

    ReplyDelete