Sunday, July 7, 2013

On "My Final Week to Live" and New Vision

I've been contemplating a powerful question, one I came across in a book I've been reading called The Untethered Soul (I'd highly recommend it).  In one of the later chapters the author discusses the power of living with the end in mind.  Each of us are here on Earth temporarily, that we all know.  Yet few of us live knowing that any moment could be our last. 

In fact, the majority of us live each day scrambling to pay bills, building up possessions, striving for higher titles and earning accolades.  We act as if we are going to stay on Earth forever.  But, none of us do.  We each will eventually face death and move into The Beyond.

So, I've been thorougly enjoying the question the author posed:  If you knew this was your final week on Earth, how would you live? 

Wow.  Contemplating this has brought me amazing perspectives.  It has re-awakened in me new vision:  colors seem more vibrant, the air seems more satisfying as I breath it in.  I see my children and my husband in a new light, soaking in each of the joy-filled moments we have together.

Living with the end in mind allows us to connect to our true priorities, to the things we care deeply about.  Thinking of this question has inspired me to focus on what I care about -- my family, my purpose, finishing the books that are inside my heart, and living every moment FULLY ENGAGED rather than worried or distracted by things that mean very little.

It just so happened that last night we spent the evening in Chinatown, Philadelphia.  David and I decided to take the kids out for a special evening and went to our favorite restaurant, Penang's.  As we sat together enjoying a variety of dishes and laughing, I looked over to a table near the door of the restaurant. 

It hit me suddenly:  that was the table where Taiwo Bankole and I had shared a meal when he had visited the USA for the first time last fall.  (Many of you may have read my previous blog about Taiwo's sudden death:  http://harnessyourpower.blogspot.com/2012/12/another-loss-dear-taiwo-bankole-you.html). 

After Taiwo had landed in New York City, he took a bus to Philadelphia.  He called me when he arrived so I came from my work to meet him for a meal.  At that table in Penang's, Taiwo and I shared a cup of hot tea and some food on a very rainy, chilly fall day.  Taiwo was full of life, eager to experience everything possible that Philadelphia and America had to offer.  His eyes glowed with excitement.  His heart and his vision were so big.  I was so happy to see him and spend the next few days and weeks with him.

With the question I was contemplating, it was as if God was reminding me of how real this question is -- any of us could take our last breath today.  Taiwo breathed his last breath in 2012 and he was only in his twenties.  None of us are guaranteed to be here for years and years.  Each of us only have THIS MOMENT, this incredibly vibrant, beautiful, rich moment to experience life. 

So, as you spin on this miraculous planet called Earth and approach this day, I ask you to live with the end in mind.  If the angel of death whispered to you, "This is it...your last week is here...how will you live it?"  How would you respond?  What would you spend this week doing?  Who would you call that hasn't heard from you in awhile?  What experiences would you savor?  What would you pour your energy into?

If you haven't been spending the last 52 weeks in a way that was meaningful to you, why not re-think how you will spend this upcoming one?  Approach it with boldness, passion, determination and purpose.  Live it with joy and care.

Hope this question inspires you as much as it inspired me.

With my love,
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
www.patriciaomoqui.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia,

    We met a couple of years ago. You spoke with a group of my colleagues during lunch (we are training consultants with NeighborWorks of America).

    I have been enjoying the receipt of my daily affirmations. As I was reading just a bit ago, I needed inspiration and decided finally to check out your blog (been putting it off for months).

    I met you shortly after my mother's death and it seems death has been claiming many close to me since.

    I have re-focused my priorities and was previously reading a spiritual devotion that I receive daily. The timing of reading your blog for the first time and the topic is not coincidental.

    Reading it has inspired me even as my heart is heavy this moment. Thank you for following your passion and gift. Your words have been a blessing to me. I needed to take time to say so.

    May you continue to write words of encouragement and inspiration and your life be abundantly blessed for doing so.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace,

    It is so nice to hear from you! I am glad you enjoy the daily emails.

    It is wonderful that reading the blog happened in the right time for you! I pray your heart continues to be encouraged and comforted.

    With a smile,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete