Sunday, December 2, 2012

Yes, I Was Given a MAJOR GIFT for Serving Someone! You Won't Believe This Story!

You will never believe what someone gave me simply because I was kind...wow...

But first, let me digress and share a quick story. . .my mom bought my children an interesting present.  They each recieved a package with a bulb, some soil and a pot.  So, we opened them up and followed the instructions:  wet the soil then put the bulb in and patiently wait to see what happens.

So, we waited and waited.  It seemed there was no progress for so many days.  We would wake up eagerly each morning and run to the living room to see if there was any growth.  For many weeks, there wasn't a sign of change.  Then suddenly, one morning, we noticed a green shoot emerging from one of the pots.  But the other pot showed no signs of emergence.



Plant # 1 grew steadily day by day. Plant #2, well, let's just say it kept disappointing us. 

Plant # 1 got taller and stronger.  It was growing by leaps and bounds.  Then, suddenly a tiny bud appeared.

Plant # 2 brought a tiny green shoot.  But, it seemed to stagnate and not get any higher.

Plant # 1 then brought forth a nice flower.  We all celebrated the blossom. 

I questioned whether Plant # 2 would ever grow. 

Then, one day, we woke up and found Plant # 2 had suddenly shot up.  We were all amazed as we had given up on seeing progress.

As Plant #1 finished blooming, Plant #2 grew taller and taller.  In fact, it grew to twice the size of Plant #1. 

Why do I share this growth story?  I do so to encourage you.  Every seed (every person) grows at a different rate and time.  Don't give up on yourself or someone else if you don't see the progress you desire.  No, be patient and BELIEVE.  The plant will grow and the flower will appear in due time.

Now, on to the amazing reward I received!

We have an elderly neighbor.  We will call him Mr. Mike for short.  About a year ago, he fell and broke his hip.  The injury seemed to have aged him five years in a few months time.  But, he has been determined to stay on his feet and stay strong.

One day I saw Mr. Mike.  I asked him how he was doing.  "I'm disgusted," he said.

"Why is that?" I asked with compassion.

"I ran out of white bread and tuna and I have no way to get it."

"Mike, that's not a problem--I'd be happy to run to the store and get it for you tonight."

"You would do that for me?" he said with surprise.

"Yes, I'd be happy to do so.  Please let me know anytime you need something," I assured him.

A few weeks later I saw Mr. Mike and he asked, "Could you get me some medicine?" 

"Sure, I will do so later today," I told him.

I went to deliver his medicine.  Mr. Mike invited me into his place.  It was amazing to see all the artwork.  In his prime, Mr. Mike had been a dedicated painter.  He had paintings from various times in his life and places around the world he had visited. 

I oohed and aaahed as I looked at each one.  Then, I handed Mr. Mike his medicine.

He said, "Wait.  I have something for you!"  Then, he went to the corner of the room and pulled out this vibrantly blue painting. 

"Wow, this is for me?" I inquired.

"Yes, this is a painting of the Rockefeller Mansion.  You deserve a place like this," he said with a smile.

(here is a picture of the mansion so you can visualize it)



Wow.  How symbolic it all is.  Service is my mainstay.  I realized that night that the more I give out, the more joy and bounty I receive.  There is a universal law that ensures that those who give with love never lack.  And, I can see clearly how that has been the case in my life for so many years.

I have the painting hanging by my bedside as a reminder of the blessings I experience as I share simple acts of kindness with the people I encounter.

So, serve this week.  Share your love and kindness and joy.  Lift someone up by offering a smile or lending a hand with a difficult task.

You just never know what good might emerge into your life as you do so.

With a smile,
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com


No comments:

Post a Comment