Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thoughts on Ten Years of Marriage


Words that come to mind as I celebrate ten years of marriage:

Determination.  Ups.  Downs.  Highs and lows.  Great memories.  Tough ones.  Breakdowns.  Breakthroughs.  Love.  Patience.  Acceptance.  Compassion.  Growing understanding.  Space to allow the other to be.  Maturity on both parts. Learning to listen without defense.  Learning to speak one's mind when needed.   Greater appreciation of one another.  Belief in each one's potential.  Willingness to give 100% support to individual visions and a joint vision for life. 

Wow.  Ten years of marriage.  TEN YEARS OF MARRIAGE.  It means I have grown and learned a lot.  It means I have a better appreciation for the union of marriage.  It shows that I still have a lot to learn, a long way to go. 

Today, however, I just simply celebrate. I delight in the person I have become because of the loving support my husband has offered me through the years.  He has always encouraged me to follow my heart and to live my dreams.  He knew I could face my fear and self-doubt and be amazing as I lived my purpose. He has offered me wisdom, support and inspiration when I have been at my most difficult points.

I am blessed, blessed beyond measure. 

I say to anyone who is early in your marriage -- hang in for the ride of your life.  Anyone who says marriage is easy is not telling the truth.  It is hard work.  It is difficult and challenging.  Marriage requires a daily commitment.  It is a choice to stay together through thick and thin, through some of the toughest times you can imagine.  I am so glad to have made it to this point.  The depth of my love for my husband is greater than I could ever have imagined.

My prayer is to be the best wife, mother and person I can be. 

Have a blessed week.
May you find and cultivate the love your heart desires (whether you are single or whether you are currently married).

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Pat... Many more fulfilling years for your marriage in Jesus' name.

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete