Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Harness Your Power: Get Out & Network

I went to a great event in Philadelphia last night focused on Women, Empowerment and Leadership.  It was hosted at the Constitution Center In Philadelphia which is a fabulous venue.  The featured speaker was Carla Harris, author of Expect to Win.  She gave great tips for success in the business world. It was an evening full of inspiration.  To top it off, I met some incredible new contacts.

Relationship building truly is a key to success.  Having a quality, top-rate group of people in your life is a catalyst on your journey to ever-evolving success.  It takes energy to get out and network.  Remember, it's not about the quantity of events you attend.  It's about choosing the right quality events to be part of.

When you get there, relax and be yourself.  Shine.  Extend a hand and get to know the people around you.  You are a valuable professional. You have much to offer based on your unique set of experiences, skills, personality and connections.  Look people in the eye with compassion and confidence as you shake their hand and greet them.

Last evening I went to the venue alone.  I walked the room several times with a smile on my face, looking for those who I felt drawn to connect with.  With time, I found myself in many interesting conversations--I met a fellow Princeton graduate, a top-executive who expressed interest in having me speak at an event and a distinguished woman who felt the need for a life coach after we chatted for a short time about self-confidence.

Now there is follow-up to do.  It's time to connect with those I met via email and set a time to get to know them even better.  I usually schedule a lunch or a coffee so I can deepen the relationship and know the person better.  This type of connection often leads to an important exchange of information and contacts and allows me to make a new friend.  Remember the words of Peter Drucker, "More business decisions occur over lunch and dinner than at any other time, yet no MBA courses are given on the subject."

So, get out there and get to know some new people.  Offer your kindness and your contacts to others and you will find that others will do the same for you.

May growing success meet your path!
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.

http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment