Monday, January 17, 2011

Harness Your Power: Listening...Renewed Focus

I've decided to renew my focus on listening.  I want to be more aware, more present to others.  I see that often the greatest gift I can offer another person is my full attention.  So, with clients, with my family members and with my children -- I am quieting my mind and opening my heart.  I am choosing to engage my listening.

So, in light of all this, I offer a few suggestions that I am practicing this week.


1. Commit to spending at least a minute or two each day in silence. Focus on your breath. Simply notice your mental chatter. Understand the vitality of each thought. You might want to look at them as prowling tigers and appreciate their strength and beauty as they parade across the screen of your mind. Try not to engage them. Simply let them pass. Return your focus to your breath. If you find yourself tempted to play with the tigers, you might be in for a tussle. That’s okay. It’s natural. Just smile and go back to breathing. First practice this silence on your own. Then, when you find yourself in conversation, practice silence again. Quiet your mind and choose to focus on the other person’s words. Let your own thoughts pass by.

2. Observe yourself while in conversation. Are you able to stay focused while someone is talking to you or does your mental activity take over? Just notice. Don’t judge yourself. Become aware of the opportunity you have to grow your listening skills. Set an intention: I desire to become an attentive listener.



3. To increase your self-awareness, do a daily listening review each evening. How many times did you truly listen? How many times were you bored or uneasy? How many times did your mind take over? If your mind took over, where did it go? Here are some possibilities: To your own activities? To the past? To a criticism of the other person? To self-defense? Let this practice of detached self-evaluation help you grow.

I have much practice to do on this topic...and I'm approaching it with a light heart and spirit of adventure.
 
Why not join me?
 
With love,
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

3 comments:

  1. I am joining you. It is a blessing to be able to listen to others and hear what they have to say. Many people out their just need listening ears to hear them out. Someone to hear their struggle. Somehow they feel their voice is being heard. Everyone wants to be heard and it is such a great ability to be able to listen to someone else without imposing your own views on them. JUST LISTEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok let me join too.........thanx 4 letting us know we can take it slowly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire your passion,and now you are in Africa and of all places;Nigeria.....GOD bless you more...you meet the right people at the right places for the right purpose to favor you...Am with you now all the way,my life coach...

    ReplyDelete