Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Harness Your Power - Gratitude and Reflection

I have been counting my blessings lately.  Each night as I put my children to sleep I say a short prayer aloud with them listing the many gifts we experienced during the day --from food to a comfy bed to our health and safety.  In this Thanksgiving season I am consciously looking around my life and taking stock of all the positives.  I am even giving thanks for the challenges.

My older daughter, Maggie, is such a special person.  I celebrate her today because her diagnosis of Prader Willi Syndrome has given her a challenging life path.  As her mom, I walk through each of these difficulties with her.  She amazes me.  She is fearless, confident and full of love.  She does her best each day.  She is a happy human being who only wishes good for others. 

Being the mom of a special needs child is a rich experience.  There is a sweetness to seeing Maggie develop. She has to work so hard to do some of the basic things most children do with ease.  I see that there is a big difference in her life journey than in the journey of her peers.  I constantly remind myself that there is no "normal." 

Each human is here for a particular purpose.  We come in all shapes and sizes with a variety of challenges.  We are here to learn and grow into our personal best.  And, most importantly, we are here to join with one another in love and connection.  Maggie's special gift is connection.  She has charm.  People adore her immediately.  Her rosey, soft cheeks glow when she smiles.

I have an angel in my family and her name is Maggie.
I thank God for this angel and for her sister angel Skye.

May we each find the goodness and beauty in our greatest challenges,

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment