Sunday, February 28, 2010

Harness Your Power: Write It Down!

I find myself continually suggesting to clients to put pen to paper and write down their thoughts.  Writing is a way to get the swirling thoughts that overwhelm us out of our head so we can see them in black and white.

Here are a number of exercises I regularly recommend:

Write down your FEARS!  Just today one of my clients was struggling with some intense fear.  She took the time to write all the fears down.  It helped her to see the fear with a clearer mind.  She started to see how extreme some of the fears were and was able to sit and study them more objectively.  She even began to question the fears and see if there were new perspectives she could adopt to help her feel better.

Write down your burdens.  If you feel heavy, weighed down by your personal burdens and the suffering of others, take five minutes and write a list of all the burdens.  Then, take this piece of paper and file it away in the "Universe File."  Give the burdens to God and walk through your day feeling peace and hope.  Trust.  If you find yourself starting to worry, remember that you already put your list in the biggest hands there are!

Take stock of all that you are experiencing.  Often my clients will say, "I don't understand why I feel so drained and exhausted."  I help them recall the many intense situations they are going through --whether it is an aging parent, a stressful situation at work, a financial challenge or a health issue -- these real-life difficulties can be intense.  Give yourself credit for all that is going.  Then, remember that when you have a lot of these situations going on at once, you need to take good care of yourself!  Get extra rest.  Eat well.  Pat yourself on the back for your courage.

Write your gratitude list!  Yes, please remember to write all the good things down that are going on in your life.  No matter how small the blessing, focus on the wonderful things in your life.  Generate positive inner energy by giving thanks.

Hope these are helpful exercises for you!  If you don't like writing, then I would suggest you draw it or find some form of creative expression so that you can process your inner feelings.  Don't stuff it inside or you will get "clogged up". 

I'm here to support, help and encourage you.
With Deep Love for You!

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

3 comments:

  1. The bible says we should cast our care upon Him(God)for He cares for us.
    It's not easy to do, cos sometimes u still think bout them, but it's best u hand them over to God and forget about them totally. Thats the only way one can move forward and achieve greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we often care too many burdens, things we have no control over. We can release the burdens through prayer so we feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goal this week is to try implementing your techniques. I've been struggling to find what "works" and ultimately, something that lasts. I've been on a journey lately. My focus, is to make every moment count, and to harnest all the possitive energy I can sqeeze from every encounter. Every person I meet. Every sitution. It rocks that I found this post. This is good stuff..Rock on Trish!

    Enricque D'shawn
    Paris, France

    ReplyDelete