Sunday, February 21, 2010

Harness Your Power: Heal those BUTTONS!

I sit here tonight writing this blog after getting rather angry-- someone just "pushed my buttons."  I didn't know I even had this BUTTON!  I certainly am aware of it now.  I am glad that I realize I have more of my own personal healing to do.

What is a button?  A button is a spot inside me or you that is sensitive and when touched by someone in our lives, causes us to react.  Often the reaction is quite strong and intense.

I often say when I speak to audiences that our buttons are quite an opportunity for self-growth.  I sit here looking at my button, my reaction and the deep beliefs I hold that caused me this inner (and outer) craziness.  Why do I over-react?  Why do I get so upset?  I am meditating on this and will be for the week ahead.

We want to blame others for our reactions -- "If HE hadn't pushed my buttons, then I wouldn't have reacted this way!  It was HIS (or HER) fault!"  I want to challenge this idea of blaming our reactions on others.

The illustration I often use is a wound on your arm.  If you have a wound on your arm and someone pours salt in it, what happens?  You would probably cry out in pain -- perhaps you would scream. 

If you DID NOT have a wound on your arm and someone pours salt on it, what would happen?  The salt would provide exfoliation for your skin and fall away.  There would be no pain. 

When we have these over-the-top reactions, it is because of what is INSIDE us, not what is outside.  If we begin to understand this then we have the opportunity for learning some incredibly beautiful lessons.

Off to heal my remaining buttons.  It seems that I find more and more.  I am laughing as I write this ...what interesting human beings we are, huh?  I have a long way to go and so much more to learn. 

I am happy for the learning.  I want to heal fully so that I can be truly peaceful, deeply loving and able to choose a response rather than give a knee-jerk reaction.

Healing with you...hope you will take stock of "your buttons" this week.

With Love,

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment