Monday, February 15, 2010

Harness Your Power: Silence, Silence, Silence

Silence is rich.  I have been spending time in quiet, deep breathing almost every day for the past seven years.  There is nothing like a few minutes of breathing to calm my spirit.

I've realized that no mater how long I spend breathing deeply, there is always benefit.  In the middle of the day if I take a few breaths and stop my thinking for just a moment, I feel renewed.  If I sit for ten minutes after the kids have gone to bed, there is great reward in this too.  Longer periods of twenty to thirty minutes take me into a deep state of inner peace and joy.

When I need answers to my most pressing concerns, a few minutes in silence connects me to a Divine Wisdom.  I find that the answers I need more easily emerge when I am quiet inside my mind.

If you have a mind that races with fear, worry, guilt, shame and stories from your past, perhaps it might be worth your time to sit quietly and breathe deeply.  It may feel difficult at first because your mind will want to keep it's pace.  If you persist, you will find that your mind will grow calmer and your body will feel renewed.

When I attended a seminar last year we actually ate our meals in silence.  It made the experience of eating toally different.  Rather than exchanging stories with other participants, we were solely focused on enjoying our food.  They also encouraged us to spend one day of the seminar in total silence -- no speaking or communicating with anyone.  It was joyful to do this, in some ways'a relief to be with the group but have no pressure of interaction and no need to say anything.

This week I encourage you to spend at least a few minutes a day sitting quietly and breathing.  Just incorporate it wherever it fits into your day.  Let your cares go for that time.  Just focus on your breath and allow your body, mind and spirit to completely relax.  You may find that you hunger longer and more frequent periods of silence.

I am doing this with you.

Much love,
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment