Sunday, December 13, 2009

Harness Your Power: Joy & Passion


Today I write in honor of my oldest daughter, Maggie.  This Tuesday Miss Maggie Moo will turn 7 years old.  I'm amazed at how quickly these years have gone by. 

For those of you who know me well, you are aware that I call Maggie my greatest teacher.  It was her arrival in my life that caused me to do some deep soul searching.  At three months of age we were told that Maggie was a floppy baby.  She underwent every test thinkable only for us to be told they didn't know why she had low muscle tone.  We were left in total uncertainty -- told that Maggie might not walk, talk or be "normal."

I celebrate my daughter today!  She can walk.  She struggles still getting up the stairs.  She can talk.  She still has speech therapy and is not as understandable as other kids her age.  She has developmental delays and yet is learning to read, write and do simple math problems.  She is tenacious.  She never gives up on learning.  Thankfully she is a born teacher.  Whatever she does in the classroom at school she carries home to instruct her baby dolls all evening long.

My daughter was officially diagnosed with Prader Willi Syndrome when she was 5 years old.  I'm learning that this syndrome has a wide range of possibilities for a person's life.  I'm coming to understand that we have no idea what her future will bring so we need not spend our time worrying about it or wondering.  Maggie has taught me to live in the present moment and embrace life wholeheartedly.  That is how she lives.  She doesn't even know that she has this syndrome.  She simply lives with zest and freedom.

I give thanks today for physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, doctors, nurses and supportive family and friends who have helped us make so much progress.  Maggie is resilient.  She is smart with a very sharp set of ears --she NEVER misses a word that is said and we are often shocked when she reminds us of what we said!

I look back now and see that if I had spent the last 7 years in worry, I would have been miserable.  Instead, I have focused on the beauty in Maggie.  I've accepted her journey as HER journey, not one to be measured against other children.  I have celebrate each step of progress and watched in wonder at how she always has kept a happy spirit and a brilliant smile.

Maggie follows her passion.  She loves to teach.  She told her pre-school teacher one day that she was going to take her job and that her teacher would have to go get a job at McDonalds!  That is how serious Maggie is about her teaching.  For her birthday she asked for a white board and markers.  Since opening her gift yesterday she has been using the white board to further instruct her babies.

I am in awe as I watch her.  She jumps for joy almost every day.  She loves life.  She loves others.  She is kind.  She is helpful and motherly.  She is all that I could ever have asked for in a daughter.

Here is what I want to say to her this week:  "Thank you Miss Maggie for stimulating me to be joyful and follow my passion.  It is because of you that I am an inspirational speaker, life coach and writer.  I love you.  I am in awe of you, Mom"

Please, in honor of Maggie and because life is so short, follow your passion.  Do what comes naturally.  Remember what makes you tick, what you can't get enough of and begin to incorporate it into your life.

And, this week, please find at least one opportunity to jump up and down and celebrate life like my dearest daughter.  Notice that as you do this you MUST smile.  Jumping for joy is fun.

Living with joy and passion,
Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment