Sunday, July 19, 2009

Harness Your Power: Enjoy This Big World


Every day I go on a walk. With summer here, I forgo the gym and instead take a tour of my neighborhood. I like walking through residential areas and following a similar route because I get a sense of people's lives.


One morning this past week around 8:00 am. I noticed two ambulances parked in front a house. A police car pulled up as did several other cars. Out on the lawn was an African-American man holding his heads in his hands in shock. A white woman was on her cell phone, visibly distressed with tears rolling down her cheeks. Two doors down there were some older people gathered on the front lawn greeting a woman coming out of her car. It seemed apparent that someone had died and they were giving her the news.


I was a very quiet observer. I walked lightly as I moved through the scene trying to be respectful of the deep emotions that emanated from the group. I said a prayer for these people who were beginning the grieving process. I opened to the Spirit of Life, asking that I use each day to be a vessel of love, not wasting a moment on worry or doubt. Life moves so quickly and you just never know when it will be time to move on to the eternal realm.


As I neared the corner, I passed a huge bush. I heard, "BZZZ. BZZZZ. BZZZZ." I can't describe how loud this buzzing was! I immediately walked onto the street as I rounded the sidewalk and kept a distance from what appeared to be a huge bee's nest. It reminded me to follow my intuition and give space to people (or bees) who need it. Sometimes it is best to be an invisible walker. Just observing. Aware. Tuned in to one's surroundings.


Since I was a teenager, I have exercised almost every day -- either running (when my knees were in better shape) or taking long walks. I had the joy of traveling the world and everywhere I went, I found a way to integrate my morning routine into my daily life.
In Haiti when I was a counselor at a children's camp, I rose with the roosters, walked to a local field and ran in circles in the morning humidity until I worked up a good sweat. In Brazil, before going out to the schools to teach kids basketball (and about self-esteem) I would run around two ponds right near the house I was staying. In England, I'd go to a nearby forest and run like a free spirit through the forest, no trail, dodging trees along the way.


Last night, my husband and I had a date. After a meal of Mexican food, we took a stroll along the Schukyill river. In the fresh evening air I had memories of my walks flood into my mind. I was poignantly reminded that I love other cultures and I love walking. There are so many places to see in this beautiful World! There is so much to experience. Yet, so many people get stuck in their comfort zones, with a sense that life is boring. They get into a rut of doing the same thing every day, with the same people, in the same area.


There are so many activities to try! Have you ever painted? Created a video? Experienced yoga? Gone to the theatre or the opera? Gone for a hike or to watch birds? Visited a country you know very little about simply to open your mind and explore? There are so many places (locally and internationally) to experience. There are countless ways to spend our time and energy. So, why do we get stuck in the familiar?


Even though I've been a World explorer, I've experienced these ruts too. This week I've been reminded of the possibilities of breaking free and going back to being a kid again. My daughters will try anything and they will do it with all their energy and enthusiasm. They embrace new people like they've known them for years. I'm continually inspired by them.


This week I challenge you to notice the routines in your life. Become aware of which ones feel really supportive and helpful to you. For me, my time for physical exercise is one which I adore: it raises my energy and calms my mind.
Then, notice the routines that you are stuck in--the ones that you do habitually but always feel a sense you should change. Open to see the possibilities of using your time and energy in adventuresome ways.


Life is an adventure or a bore -- it all depends on your approach.


I sense a new chapter emerging in my life. I've been in a nesting phase since 2000. Never thought I would have lived in the area I'm in for this long. It's served an important purpose for me -- had 2 kids, got clear on my career, gained wisdom I never knew was possible. Yet, my inner yearning for adventure and exploration is calling me.


You just never know what the next year might bring!

What would you like to experience?


You have power to open and create something fantastic!


A big hug,


Patricia Omoqui


No comments:

Post a Comment