Saturday, November 15, 2008

Harness Your Power: Try New Things


I am a morning person. I typically rise at 5:30 a.m. to enjoy the peace of our home so I can meditate and work on writing my weekly articles or making progress on my book. It's my favorite time of the day. Around 6:30 a.m. my youngest daughter Skye wanders down the stairs and snuggles beside me on the couch as I finish up my work. (This is a picture of my sparkling daughter).

Skye is a dynamic little girl. This week she decided she wanted to dress as a ballerina for school. She wore a pink mesh ballerina skirt over her jeans, some shiny black shoes and wore her hair in a bun to get the look she wanted. May I remind you she is only 3 1/2. A true character! (She often wears a Hannah Montana wig when we got out to run errands!)

This morning she came down and showed me that she can now snap. Last week she got really focused on figuring out how to snap her fingers. When Dad sings, he often snaps. I think she also saw her teacher doing this at school during music time. She was determined and focused on learning this new skill. After a week of practice, she has almost mastered it! Now she is so excited to show off her new skill.

This got me thinking about how fun it is to learn and try new things. Kids thrive on the excitement of expanding their skills. They are often relentless -- trying again and again until they figure it out. Some adults do this as well, but many of us get so busy in our daily lives that we often put aside our inner yearnings to learn something fresh.

I'd like to encourage you to let your desires for growth and expansion to emerge. Even if you feel you don't have time for learning, at least listen to your heart. What would you really like to learn how to do? Would learning how to cook Thai food excite you? Maybe you have always wanted to dance? Or, is it time to refresh your guitar skills? Has there been a language you have always had interest in? Whatever it is that would bring you joy, just begin to write your ideas down.

Some of my clients take the time to write down a list of "The things I'd like to do and experience by age 35 (or, 40, 50, 60, 70 etc.)." The people I've met who have done some really cool things are usually the ones that are very clear in knowing what they'd like to do. They've taken the time to think through their list. Then, they pick something from their list and begin -- whether it is saving for the trip of their dreams or signing up for a class -- they get started and find a way to fit what they love into their lives. Because they have a list, they are able to fit these things into the hours of time that open up in their schedules rather than sitting in front of the TV because they don't have anything else in mind to do.

Take what is in your heart and put it on the page. Why not write your own list this week? Let your creative juices flow. Don't put limits on the exercise --no worrying about where you'll get the money or how you'll fit it into your schedule. Just commit your dreams to paper.

Notice how you feel just thinking about these ideas! Imagine what it will be like to actually experience them.

My next learning experience is one I never would have thought of months ago. Because of the recent experiences I've had with producing TV segments to air in Nigeria and now on a local Philadelphia cable called MindTV, I've realized I want to know more about Television and broadcasting. So, I'm beginning to ask around about classes at local colleges where I can get exposed to this learning! I'm also attending a class on Thursday that is a boot camp for learning how to produce 5 minute TV segments. It feels refreshing when we take the steps to continually expand our minds!

Take the time to write your list this week! Let your heart beat fast again!


On a different note, for any of you who are feeling the darkness of life, please check out my article on Vanguard this week. I believe it will encourage your heart: http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/21835/82/ .


With great love for each of you,


Patricia Omoqui

No comments:

Post a Comment