Sunday, June 29, 2008

Harness Your Power: You Are Being Prepared


I am fascinated by the way I seem to always be prepared for my next step in life. It is as if the Universe knows what I need and gets me ready for the situations that I am about to encounter. Seeing this and giving thanks for this preparation assists me in relaxing. I am more able to trust my path and walk forward in excitement and joy instead of feeling worried and afraid.


As I look back at my childhood I see that even then, I was being prepared for where I am today. My mom was a high-school English teacher when I was in elementary school. For many years she also was a speech coach and directed the plays at the school I attended. I was always encouraged to get up in front of audiences and speak. For some reason I had no fear -- I would write my speech (with assistance from my mom) and then practice my delivery. My mom coached me on the dramatic pauses to insert, the pace to speak at and the fine details of getting an audience engrossed in my message.


My mom coached me to win two speech contests as a junior high student. It was fun to be part of the national competitions. Little did I know how important this preparation would be.


In high school I was in a leadership position in my youth group. My speaking abilities came in handy in getting my peers to join together in spiritual learning and growth. When I went on to Princeton, my speaking ability established me as a strong voice on our basketball team. I never hestitated to step up and encourage our team to push ourselves hard on the court so that we could succeed as a team.


As I traveled during the summers between my college years, I continued to get up on stages and speak in various parts of the World. When I went to Brazil I got to combine my Portuguese language skills with my speaking skills as I spoke to kids in the public schools and taught them basketball and life skills. Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have thought that the fun I had with my mom working to win speech competitions was preparation for delivering messages worldwide.


I traveled to Nigeria last week for a Women on Wellness Seminar. It was one of the first seminars of its kind in Nigeria. I was a keynote speaker. The focus was on revitalizing Nigerian women in mind, body and spirit. I marveled at the fun I had connecting with close to 400 women. There was no need for any stress or concern, I was fully prepared for the event and felt at ease delivering two presentations. I even had people approach me after I spoke and say, "You changed my life today with the message you shared." Wow. These types of comments leave me speechless and joyful.


Life is wonderful. There is never a need for worry. The Universe supports us and wants us to reach our full potential. Why not chill out this week? Take a look back on your journey thus far. Can you see examples of how you were being prepared for an opportunity or an encounter and you didn't even know it? My guess is that if you take the time to reflect you will find plenty of evidenced that the Universe has been preparing you all along the way for the opportunities you have now to express your gifts and talents in the World.


Relax this week. Celebrate this on-going preparation. Preparation doesn't necessarily mean long hours and stressful training. It might simply mean following your heart and joyfully throwing yourself into the experiences in life that bring you a sense of excitement. Each experience prepares you for the next. Have fun in each moment. Laugh as you see the wonderful way your path is unfolding. There is so much joy on our path when we release our fears and self-doubts.


Having fun being prepared for the remarkable journey unfolding before me,


Sincerely,

Patricia Omoqui


No comments:

Post a Comment