Saturday, February 2, 2008

Enjoying the Discomfort of Growth



What struck me most this past week is that for some reason I have created several situations in my life that have caused me some discomfort – not in a painful way, but in a way that caused me to feel very unsure of myself again. As I watched this feeling of discomfort, I realized how beautiful it is because when we find ourselves uncomfortable in situations it means that we have tremendous opportunity to grow and expand who we are.



I started my hip-hop dance class 2 weeks ago. The first week I went I quickly realized that I had a lot to learn. I tried my best to keep up with the rest of the class and get the moves down. It was hard work to keep my mind from judging me harshly! I felt the thoughts come up like, “You can’t do this. You aren’t good at this. Why are you even trying to learn. . .” I quickly stopped those thoughts and brought myself back to the present moment. Once I was fully present, I just decided to throw myself completely into the dancing and not worry about how I compared to others around me.


I felt such joy in dancing and saw how much fun it is to learn something new again. It was exhilarating listening to the music and diving in head first to something that was new. The discomfort of the situation turned into pure bliss – because I was putting myself out there – I was deciding to do something that made me uncomfortable so that I could get the results that I wanted in my life. I have been passionate about dancing for years and I’m finally taking a class.

Today I sat doodling in my journal after an event I attended for the Book Bank Foundation in AZ. As I drew and scribbled on the page, the following phrases popped out of my subconscious mind:


In the center of the page I wrote in big letters: GROW!


Around the word GROW I doddled these ideas:


Dive in head first!

You are ready!

Love your Journey (all aspects of it even the seeming negative,difficult and challenging).

Allow life to flow to you – just expand yourself in faith for what is to come.

Have courage.

Trust yourself.

Trust the process of blooming.

Trust others to their own journey.

Trust the Universe.

Let love expand.


That says it all for where I’m at in my journey. I am living what I teach you in this blog. I am living what I speak about to audiences. I am living what I teach people in life coaching sessions. Because I am living what I teach, I am constantly growing. I can also relate to people I am working with because I am constantly encouraging them to take baby steps to become what they want to be. Well, I am taking baby steps and feeling the challenge of growing in new ways too.


It takes courage to grow and expand. Yet, the fun, excitement and passion that flows from having courage and trusting yourself to navigate new situations allows you to Harness Your Personal Power in ways you never thought possible.


If you are sitting in a very comfortable life that you can navigate with very little thought or effort, it might be time to try something new! What have you always wanted to try? Is there a class you have been saying you’d take for years? Are there relationships you’ve wanted to develop that you keep putting off? Is there a cause that you care about that you’ve been meaning to get involved in? Life is what we make it. Why not create something extraordinary?



It feels a bit uncomfortable to put yourself into the unknown but the payoffs are wonderful. I never want to live my life saying, “I wish I had… or I should have done…..”

My children enjoy every aspect of learning. They don’t care if they can’t do the dance moves like the other kids in their class – they haven’t yet been taught to worry about these things. Our habits of worry and self-judgment can be released. Let’s make learning and growing our habits instead.


I love my life. I finally love every aspect of my life. I believe this is true for me now because I’m expanding beyond my initial discomfort with the new activities, events, classes and people I’ve put into my life.


Harness Your Power this week – EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS. Don’t sit and wait for life to bring excitement to you – instead, create excitement each day by trying new things. You may feel some initial discomfort in trying something new, but you will be so glad you did.


I’d love to hear about the new things you try and that initial discomfort you experience. . .isn’t the human experience fascinating?


With love, enthusiasm, and wonder for life,



Trish



www.patriciaomoqui.com

2 comments:

  1. Trish, thanks for sharing your experience of discomfort/growth. I know I must be in a high growth time because the discomfort level in my life is just the sane side of intolerable. Every day I walk the fear/faith line, slipping back and forth, praying, holding on, letting go... it's been an uncomfortable ride that is leading me to a new place in my life. It's comforting knowing there are others sharing the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie, I trust that you will begin to experience the birthing of the new parts of you that are growing. . .I was thinking that another good analogy for this growth/discomfort is pregnancy -- we stretch and stretch and stretch further than we can believe our body is capable of. Then, finally, after much discomfort, we birth something beautiful. And, we are thankful for the experience. I wish you beauty and peace in your growth:)
    Trish

    ReplyDelete