Saturday, January 5, 2008

What Sets Your Heart On Fire?

One important aspect of Harnessing Your Personal Power is to know what you are passionate about. If someone were to ask you, “What sets your heart on fire? What gets you excited about life?” How would you answer that question?

It is so easy to get lost in the day-to-day routine of life and get bogged down with the drudgery of our daily schedules. Yet, when we begin to connect with our passions, it totally transforms our lives – not to mention the way it can transform the World!

Several years ago when I was in my deepest personal despair, I would not have been able to tell you what I was passionate about. I knew what had made me excited in the past – traveling the World, learning about new cultures, working with kids, coaching. . .But, for several years I got so caught up in my personal misery, my worry and my fear, that I lost sight of how to incorporate these passions into my life.


In the past few years I have reconnected to my passion again. I wake up every day flooded with ideas, creativity and joy for the work I’m doing and for the volunteer work I am involved in. Now I can’t imagine what my life would feel like without doing those things that make my heart beat faster, my blood flow more quickly and get me smiling non-stop throughout the day.
If you are stuck in a rut in life, the beginning of 2008 is a great time to ask some new questions – if you probe your heart deeply and look for the answers, they will emerge. Please consider the following this week (pull our your journal and spend some quiet time with yourself):

  • What do I absolutely love to do (or what have I loved to do in the past)?

  • Have I ever felt my heart start pounding when I was about to do something I loved? If so, what was it?

  • As a teenager, what causes or issues was I passionate about?

  • Have I ever done volunteer work that brought me joy and great satisfaction?

  • Is there an activity that I do or have done in the past that helped me feel “in the flow?”
While I was still in corporate America I began my quest to find more meaning. I got trained by the Montgomery County Mediation Association in transformative mediation so that I could mediate neighborhood disputes and other conflict situations. After that, they trained me on how to mediate Victim Offender Conferences. Each time I had the opportunity to do a mediation, I felt excited, purposeful and full of delight. It was a way I could use my talents to touch lives. It was also an opportunity for me to find meaning when I felt bored with my corporate work.

I have the pleasure now of working with some passionate people at the Book Bank Foundation (www.thebbf.org). One night last week from 10 pm – midnight we were on the phone strategizing about how to raise funds, find donors and do an even better job in 2008 serving the homeless. Though I am typically not a late night person, I didn’t feel tired at all during the call because I love talking about the ideas of helping others and because I was surrounded by people who are on fire with love and desire to bring about change in our World!

We can never truly be stuck in life – we are always a question away from finding something that excites us. Take the time this week to consider these questions and ideas. Jump out of the routine. Instead of watching TV, call an organization that you might want to volunteer for in 2008. Or, find a book that excites you so you can expand your mind and heart. Shake up your life in 2008! Why not do things that are out of the ordinary? Why not spend time and energy bringing joy to your own life?

The more of us who have our hearts set on fire for life, the more beautiful our World will become – for we will bring smiles, new energy and fresh creativity to each day! You will Harness Your Personal Power in a way you can hardly imagine if you connect to your passion this year.
Let’s BE THE CHANGE that we want to see in the World.

If you are smiling more, happier, more peaceful and joyful, you are sure to create that in your World.

Please email me with your thoughts and ideas on this subject! patricia@patriciaomoqui.com
If you are interested in helping raise funds, or get donations for the homeless, please email me and I can give you some ideas on how to help the Book Bank Foundation. Check out their website at http://www.thebbf.org/.

  • Do you knit blankets? Would you like to knit some for the homeless?

  • Do you bake? Want to set up a bake sale to raise some funds?

  • Do you have extra sweaters, pants, coats and long sleeved shirts hanging around your closet? If you want to donate, please let me know.

  • Do you have friends who would donate all their change (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters) towards helping the homeless?
If so, let me know!


My heart is on fire with love for you, for life and for bringing transformation to the World!

Trish


http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/



3 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see and feel the passion you have for life and loving it all. Passion for life ignites wellness in the lives of those around us and on our planet. We create what we want and the power of that creation brings health and wellness to everyone. Wow..picture a planet full of loving, compassionate people now! And so it is.

    Brenda Anglin
    www.brendaanglin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    I agree. Yes, I can picture a planet full of people full of passion and compassion. It just takes one spark to light a fire:)

    Hope you are well.
    It would be wonderful to reconnect.

    Trish

    ReplyDelete