Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Harness Your Power: On Love, Mothers and Life

My lovely daughters Maggie and Skye after making chocolate cupcakes.
Mother's day was wonderful.  My girls and I sure celebrated--and we did so on their terms (wink).  Saturday evening Skye (age 6) said to me, let's celebrate Mother's day by having a sleep out on the living room floor.  I suggested we'd be more comfortable if we slept in our beds, but she was SURE this was the best way to have fun.  So, I relented. 

We got out the blankets, extra pillows and attempted to be as cozy as possible on the floor.  I slept on the couch and woke up with a wonderful back ache.  I smiled when I felt the ache because I knew my little girls were happy and we had made a special memory.

In the morning we had breakfast with my mom Gayle.  She is an angel.  I don't say that lightly or from a biased perspective.  Everyone who knows my mom is amazed at how giving, kind, peace-filled and wise she is.  As for me, I feel as if I got the best mom on the planet.  Not only did she offer me a mother's love and acceptance while growing up, she is also the editor of my articles and my book AND one of the best mentors I have ever found. 

I am blessed.  Counting my blessings is the best way for me to remember the richness of the gifts in my life.  I have a devoted husband, a supportive extended family, two little girls who teach me to play more and I do work that I love. . . those are the highlights on my list right now.

I keep being reminded that it is the simple, priceless things that are the most wonderful.  A Mother's Day card from my child with a handwritten note is more of a treasure than an expensive gift any day.

I am mellow today, just pondering some of the deeper questions of life and its purpose.  So, perhaps the best idea for the week ahead is to stay fully focused in gratitude for every blessing tiny to gigantic.  Don't miss out on any of it.   Write a list right now!

Cherish the moment and treasure the ones you love.

That's my focus,

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment