Sunday, May 1, 2011

Harness Your Power: Life Unfolds in Divine Time

The Great Hearted Dr. Femi Olaleye


I found myself with a big grin today.  Let me tell you why.

About six months ago, I came up with an idea to write a profile piece for the cover of Vanguard Newspaper's Allure Magazine.  The gentleman's name for the profile is Dr. Femi Olaleye.  He is an accomplished doctor with a vision to provide low-cost, quality healthcare to those in Lagos, Nigeria, who simply can't afford it. 

I followed the process I always use.  The first step was to send Dr. Femi the interview questions.   Step two was for him to respond which he did in a very short time period.  The next step was for me to take his responses and boil them down to the proper number of words for a profile piece.  I started working on it and met with my editor (my distinguised, English Professor mother) several times. 

Then, something strange happened.  No matter how hard we tried to get this piece finished, we just couldn't.  A normally easy process for us became extremely tedious and difficult.  We'd try to meet and then an emergency would happen.  Or, we'd work on the document and the changes we'd make would be lost due to computer troubles.

I felt pressure to get the piece done.  I kept stating to my mom, "We have to finish this piece.  I'm embarassed at how long this is taking."

I kept Dr. Femi informed that we still had him in mind and we were gradually progressing with his piece.  This went on for over four months. 

My mom and I were both perplexed.  It made no sense that we were struggling so much.

FINALLY, about five weeks ago, the piece was fully edited and submitted to Allure.  Normally a piece like this prints fairly quickly.  This time it didn't.  Dr. Femi asked me, "When will this piece be featured?"  I asked the editor and got the response, "I'll let you know when we decide to print it."

We waited.  We waited some more.  We continued to wait.  I decided to stop asking and just let it print whenever it printed.

Today, I went online to look at the Vanguard Allure.  Guess what (drum roll please)?  Dr. Femi Olaleye was at last on the cover of Allure Magazine!  But the coolest part about it is TODAY IS HIS WEDDING DAY!

That is why I smiled and laughed.  God has a perfect timing.  It all made sense.  The piece was supposed to print today.  What better wedding gift could a man get than to have his work featured on a national magazine cover ON his wedding party day?

Life is fascinating.  Maybe, just maybe, it is much easier than we think.  What if all we have to do is OUR part?  What if we simply need to take the next step and the next and the next and leave the timing of the "BREAKTHROUGH" to God?

I feel certain that's the case.  This is one story of a multitude that I could share with you that has led me to conclude that God's timing is best and is often full of irony and humor.

So, I say, "Congratulations, Dr. Femi Olaleye to you and your beautiful bride."  She is lucky to have a man like you who has a heart of gold.  And you, Dr. Femi are lucky to have a woman such as her.  I pray that the blessings of God rain down upon your lives, flooding you with all good things (maybe even some amazing children).

Please take some time to read this profile piece and be inspired.  His work is making a major impact on the lives of many Nigerians.  If you feel so inclined, do reach out to him and offer financial support to further his cause.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/life-is-more-than-designer-clothes-and-flashy-cars-dr-femi-olaleye/

Trust God's perfect time.  Relax your spirit and KNOW that your life is unfolding at the perfect pace, in the perfect way.

Speaking of perfect, my column this week in Vanguard is titled Perfect "Imperfections."  Yes, it might be an encouragement to read this too.  Your seeming inadequacies may be doing more good than you realize.  Read this and you'll understand why:  http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/perfect-%e2%80%9cimperfections%e2%80%9d/ .

Have a great week ahead!

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to Femi Olayele on his nuptials. And congrats to you for eventually getting your article on his profile, published at last

    Mena

    Cost of living Africans should know about http://efemenaoreoluwa.blogspot.com/2011/05/uk-us-canada-cost-of-living-many.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mena, Thanks for the information and link.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. HE makes all things beautiful in HIS time. There is always a time for everything and that's why it's good to be patient. I wish Dr. Femi Olayele a happy married life.

    ReplyDelete