Sunday, October 7, 2007

Are You Ready To Receive?

Many times as I am coaching my life-coaching clients, I become aware of areas of my own life where I may still be limiting myself or not living my life to the fullest. Several weeks ago I was working with a client (we will call her "Beth" for the sake of this article) and I could see so clearly that the Universe was offering her an amazing gift that she was going to pass up.

Her friend was offering to allow her to continue to stay in a nice house for a very reasonable price. Beth was at a major crossroads in her life and really wanted and needed some more time to listen to her heart and make a major, life-changing decision. She was forcing herself to make a decision more quickly because she felt she didn't have a place to stay anymore. Beth felt internal pressure to move out of her friend's place because she felt she was "taking advantage" of the situation her friend was offering her. Her friend was being blessed by the situation because she needs someone to live in the empty house and take care of it. Yet, Beth still felt that she shouldn't take her friend up on the offer anymore.

As we talked, I saw that Beth held a belief about the situation that was keeping her from enjoying this beautiful gift. She felt she didn't deserve the help and that she could only receive so much help from a person. After our discussion, Beth decided to talk with her friend and she is now enjoying the house and the additional time she needs to determine her next steps in a very challenging life situation.

As I listened to Beth that day, I saw that I had many beautiful gifts people were offering me that I was not taking them up on. A friend of mine was offering me a free massage because she enjoyed my daily email list so much. My cousin was offering to teach me a new form of stretching that helps to balance your body's energies. My husband was offering me the opportunity and freedom to take more time for myself. Yet, I was letting these amazing gifts sit on the table because I felt I didn't have the time to enjoy them.

After my conversation with Beth, I decided that I needed to take the Universe up on the gifts I was being offered. I am so glad that I did! Last week was a wonderful week for me -- I had that massage and was able to release some lingering negative energies that were causing pain in my body. The next day I spent lunch stretching with my cousin. My body felt energized and realigned after we stretched. Yesterday I enjoyed a wonderful haircut while my husband watched the kids. By taking the time to receive these gifts I allowed myself to feel refreshed and re-energized.

I have asked the Universe for some BIG gifts recently -- to see my book published quickly and easily, to be guided to additional speaking opportunities so I can reach larger and larger audiences with the message in my heart. . .but, I believe the Universe offers us small gifts sometimes to see if we will be able to receive the large gifts we have asked for.

After experiencing such a rich, beautiful week last week, I've decided that I am going to take the Universe up on ALL the gifts that are flowing into my life. Giving and receiving are part of the same flow of energy. Many of us give and give and give of ourselves. Yet few of us take the time to receive and enjoy what people are offering us. I challenge each of you to look at your lives and see what gifts you have sitting on the table of your life. . .are you ready to receive?

Receive and rejoice -- I promise you that you will be glad you did!

3 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right! I need to open my heart and eyes and see what is right in front of them.
    Bless you!
    Gem1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I am a frequent offender of not accepting “gifts” or favors and often make my life more difficult because of it. I have always felt that I should do things on my own, pay for things myself, etc…
    If I accept a gift of help, money, time, whatever, I have always felt that shows I am weak or I have the feeling hanging over me of “now I owe that person something”. I feel like they must be thinking to themselves, “When is he going to pay me back the favor?” This seems silly when I step back from it, because if I offer something to someone else, I don’t sit around wondering when the favor will be returned. In fact, the ability to help someone is something that makes me feel great and is all the payment that’s needed. I’m sure others are the same way. As I learn more about myself and become more comfortable with who I am, I hope to be able to accept gifts with gratitude and without guilt.
    Thank you for your message. I’m looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment gem1 and warrior. For me the reason I didn't want to accept help or receive gifts from others was that I felt "I should be able to do this all on my own." What a HUGE weight has been lifted from my shoulders now that I am open to receiving gifts. I feel such joy in giving gifts to others. . .I now see that it is a gift I am giving the giver to receive joyfully.

    ReplyDelete