Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Harness Your Power: Carrying the Legacy Forward

I have experienced so many amazing experiences in the last three weeks that I am actually short of words.  I feel full, ready to give birth to new ideas and even a new chapter in my life.

Yet, while I was away, my beautiful and loving 86 year old grandmother passed away.  Her health condition had been growing worse so we knew that she would not be around much longer.  Just before going to Nigeria, I took my daughters with me and we visited her for an hour.  It was a time of joy.  Maggie and Skye each wanted to sing a solo.  Then, my grandmom even chimed in with some of her songs.

A day or so before my grandmother moved on she said to my aunt, "I am not ready to go.  I have too many things left to do."  My aunt comforted and assured her, "I will take care of what is left, Mom, you don't need to worry." 

We truly do carry on the work of generations that have gone before us.  My grandmother was full of love.  Her gift was cooking and baking.  She expressed this gift regularly during my high school and college years.  I'd receive rice krispie treats, brownies, cupcakes, pineapple upside down cakes and chocolate cakes.  I was quite popular on my basketball team because of these gifts!

She also had a way of making me laugh as she told her stories of growing up.  My grandmother was pure in heart, genuine in spirit and simply loving.

As I write this week, my desire is to carry on her legacy.  Her love lives inside me. It was a vital part of who I have become.  She passed this love and acceptance to my mom and then my mom passed it to me.  I see that it is now my calling to deliver the same love to my daughters.

A song she wrote was called Joy In the Morning.  I pray that each of us experience deep joy each morning as we start each new day.  May we feel God's enduring love in our lives and know that we are cared for and guided along life's path.

If I could, I'd bake you a cake in honor of my grandmom.  I guess instead I will tell you in her words, "I love you, honey, and I am proud of you."

This Sunday we celebrate her life.
Today, I celebrate yours and pray that you are creating a lasting legacy!

Patricia Omoqui, The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment