Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Harness Your Power: Become Self-Aware


I happened to watch another kiddie flick this past week called Monsters, Inc . It was the first time I'd seen it. For those of you who aren't familiar with the movie, the story centers around monsters who scare children at night in order to capture their screams. They capture the screams to fuel the electric supply in their city. Sullivan, the main monster in the movie, is the best monster in town when it comes to scaring kids.

In one particular scene Sullivan is videotaped as he scares a little girl. As he sees the playback, he is shocked to see how upset and scared the little girl was because of his behavior. He had never realized the impact of his actions on the children he scared each night. In that one moment, as he saw himself in action, he was changed.
This scene really got me thinking. We are often unaware of how we come across to others. It would be fascinating if we were videotaped all the time and could see playbacks of our interactions and the way people responded to us.


I challenge you this week to notice yourself in conversations with people in your life. Pay particular attention when you feel anger or frustration. Hear the tone and volume of your voice. Imagine the facial expressions you have. Feel the energy you are giving out. Watch the other person's response to you -- are they shocked? Scared? Upset? What is the impact you are having on others?
I have become aware of myself particularly in situations when my children are misbehaving. I do my best to keep cool but sometimes my anger builds and I erupt. Watching Sullivan in action last night caused me to look more deeply at my responses and give more thought to how I want to respond in situations where my "buttons get pushed."
Awareness is the key to great change. Become more self-aware this week. As you do, you can learn to consciously choose your reactions, gain greater control over your emotions and spread more peace and love in all your interactions.
With great love and great thanks to Monsters, Inc. for this wonderful insight,
Patricia Omoqui

No comments:

Post a Comment