Saturday, December 22, 2007

Looking Deeply Into Their Eyes

My dearest friends, I write this blog after an intense week. It was intense in a most delightful and wonderful way.

I had the privilege on Thursday of joining Mr. Glenn Toby, founder of the Book Bank Foundation, for a day called "Shelter from the Streets." (Please check out the Book Bank Foundation website at http://www.thebbf.org/).

Glenn was a homeless child from age eight until the seventh grade. He has had a remarkable life journey and now represents big names in the entertainment and sports World (you can learn more about him at http://www.glenntoby.com/. ) As he told me several days ago, supporting and working with the homeless through his foundation is a passion that found him. I have had the privilege to work with Glenn in 2007 and he is one of the most helpful, caring and giving men I have ever encountered. He is passionate about bringing change to our World.

During the day a group of volunteers traveled in cars and mini-vans filled with clothes, toys, books, toiletries, coats and blankets through all five boroughs of New York City. We made stops at Hempstead (Long Island), Family Rescue in Jamaica (Queens), Auburn Family Shelter (Brooklyn), The Concourse House for women and children (Bronx) and the New York Rescue Mission (Manhattan). After stopping at these shelters we then hit the streets and stopped to give those in the cold the blankets, coats and clothes that so many of you donated.

There were many touching moments throughout the day -- but what struck me most throughout the day, is that when you look into another person's eyes -- when you look into their eyes deeply, you lose all sight of their clothes, their "societal status," their looks, and their disabilities. In fact, when you look deeply into any person's eyes you see a remarkable, resilient spirit shining through.

Throughout the day I experienced so many touching moments. I had the privilege to look deeply into the eyes of homeless men, women and children. I also was able to see the beauty, warmth and passion in the eyes of those who work in the shelters. Those who work in these shelters are Earth Angels of the World -- giving their time and energy to make a difference each and every day.

Those who are homeless are people like you and me -- and they need a helping hand, a kind smile and someone to take the time to support them in their time of need.

It is a touching experience when you realize that we are all the same -- we are made of the same flesh and blood. . .and we all have love that resides in us at the core of our beings. We all have tremendous potential waiting to be unleashed. We all have unique gifts and talents to share with the World. We all have intrinsic, eternal value. We all have more in common than we realize.

I count it an honor to have been part of this transformative day. I was surrounded by heroes -- people like Marvin Brown and Rene Napoleon who spent hours upon hours behind the scenes organizing this event. Free (former host of BET's 106 & Park) also joined us for the day -- she has a humble, beautiful spirit. It was touching to observe her in action and in service to the community.

Hundreds of homeless people were filled with joy and provided with a few gifts to brighten their spirits during this Christmas Season. We spent the day laughing, crying, singing Christmas Carols and giving away the beautiful items that so many of our friends and family donated.

The gift I gave to those I encountered during the day was a simple one. It was a 5 x 4 piece of paper with a set of Daily Affirmations for Self Empowerment. I want to share these with you (see below).

Affirmations are a wonderful way to help you remember the beauty you have deep within you. The best way to use these affirmations is to say them in the morning when you rise, keep a copy with you in your purse or wallet so you can read them throughout the day (especially when you find your mind focusing on the negative)-- and then before bed, make sure to read them aloud one last time. Affirmations are beautiful, positive, helpful and transformational thoughts you can use to focus your mind in a way to unlock your fear, self-doubt and worry so that you can walk through the door into your full potential.

Before I leave you with these affirmations, I challenge each of you this week as you spend time with friends and family and as you finish your shopping -- look deeply into the eyes of those you encounter. Look at them with new eyes -- look into their eyes without judgement, with no thought of the person's status, financial position, or past. Instead, look with fresh eyes. . .

May your week be blessed.
Use these affirmations as you prepare for the New Year ahead.

Daily Affirmations for Self Empowerment

I am a being of great value.
My worth is not dictated by my circumstances.
I am worthy of creating and experiencing beauty in my life.
I am full of potential.
I have unique gifts and talents.
I move beyond my fears. I begin to express love as often as possible.
I focus my thoughts on what I want to create in my life.
I allow myself to dream again – to imagine the life I desire.
Each day I take baby steps towards what I want.
I ask for miracles to occur in my life.
I open to receive the gifts the Universe has to offer me.
I release all guilt and shame. I forgive myself and others.
I open to love. I am love at my core.
I allow the light of love to shine through me anywhere I go.
Each day, I find something to be grateful for.
I choose hope. I choose peace. I choose joy.
I choose to connect to the power I have within me.

With Love & Joy,
Patricia Omoqui - The Thought Dr.
http://www.patriciaomoqui.com/
©Patricia G Omoqui, All Rights Reserved 2007

P.S. We are already starting to collect donations for next year's event. Please collect as much of the following as you can:
Gently used blankets, coats, and winter clothes
Books for children
Coloring Books, Crayons, and new toys
Toiletries of all kinds (even the ones you get in a hotel and never use)

When you have donations ready, please contact me at patricia@patriciaomoqui.com

We plan on making next year's event even bigger and better so that we brighten the lives of even more homeless people.

(If you'd like to read more quotes from the day, please visit Ed Tseng's blog -- http://www.edtseng.blogspot.com/ . Ed joined us for the day and he is a delightful person as well as a remarkable tennis player, inspirational speaker and coach.)

No comments:

Post a Comment